The CSU men’s and women’s track and field teams both placed second at the Nebraska Invitational in Lincoln this weekend. Led by the throwers, the women scored 121 points and the men scored 86 points.

Nebraska finished first in both men’s and women’s, while Oklahoma, Stanford, Northern Iowa and Washington all finished behind CSU.

Four throwers emerged to help the team do well. Junior Hannah Metzler, sophomore Loree Smith, junior Drew Loftin and senior Brian Trainor all provisionally qualified for the NCAA championships.

“I didn’t perform as well as I had wanted to, but I guess it was good enough to qualify,” Trainor said. “I had a lot more fun just being with the team. We had a lot of success as throwers, and I’m very proud of that.”

Shot putters Metzler and Smith placed first and third, with distances of 51’0″ and 50’6″, respectively. Both Loftin and Trainor won their events; Loftin threw 64’5.75″ in the weight throw, while Trainor’s shot put went 58’0.25″.

“The throwers really stepped up and dominated,” Metzler said. “We showed up and performed well on Friday. The competition brings out the best in all of us. That, and the excitement of a really big meet.”

The throwers weren’t the only show in Lincoln, though. The CSU runners also had a good day.

Junior Mary Ridder won the 800 meters in 2:12.64, while senior Amber Johnson placed second in the 200 meters at 25.41, and sophomore Katie Yemm got second in the mile with a time of 4:53.60. Senior Liz Roodell placed second in the 3,000 meters with a time of 9:55.10.

As for the men, sophomore Dylan Olchin led by winning the 3,000 meters in 8:20.99, while sophomore John Woods placed second in the 60 meters with a time of 6.84.

“I’m excited about where this team is going,” Metzler said. “We’ve got a lot of talent that’s ready to come out this season.” n