With a new semester of classes comes a new semester of great music in Fort Collins, and the live music scene is getting right under way.

Friday night, you can catch Pig at Avogadro’s Number. Pig has been playing around Fort Collins for three years, and has developed a decent following. Their style is reminiscent of the Grateful Dead and other classic rock ‘n’ roll bands. The music will get started at 9 p.m. and the cover is $3.

Saturday night, it might be worth taking a trip down to Boulder to see Vinyl, who will be appearing at the Fox Theater. Vinyl is one of those funked-up jazz bands that are all the rage these days. The California-based band blends old-school funk, Latin percussion, reggae and R&B into signature instrumental grooves. The Vinyl show, which is typically high energy and dance-oriented, starts at 9 p.m. and tickets are $16.25.

Wednesday night, Victor Barnes will be treating listeners at Lucky Joe’s in Fort Collins to a broad variety of acoustic music and an energetic and upbeat performance. Victor Barnes has a large collection of original music and a distinct sound, from Motown to Appalachia, which will leave you humming their ditties for days after you hear them.

Next Thursday night, Hank Williams III will be at the Starlight. Coming from a strong singer/songwriter tradition, Hank Williams III takes over where his father and grandfather left off. If he’s anything like the rest of the family, he might just be worth a check. The show gets started around 9 p.m. n