No Doubt edgy on new disc

Viva la Gwen and No Doubt’s new album, “Rock Steady.” Rock ‘n’ roll’s beloved vixen, Gwen Stefani, is more eccentric than ever with the release of her new tunes.

The new album is not exactly love at first listen. Songs like “Making Out,” and “Hey Baby” could not only be easily confused for a Britney Spears ballad, but also have the potential to give you a flashback to the Clueless era like a tab of bad acid. Despite this negativity, however, Stefani remains complete with a one-of-a-kind style to inspire her lyrics.

Tracks like “Hella Good,” which captures the boldness and desire of the female gender to a T, “Don’t Let Me Down” and “In My Head” express the feelings women may sometimes think inside but never say out loud.

Maybe because the album is so different, with an unexpected heavily reggae-inspired theme, it takes a little getting used to. But by track nine, a truce is made and you begin to understand that there is a message being relayed here: self-discovery, admittance to what is real and what is not.

By the time you get to the tracks “Waiting Room,” and “Rock Steady,” you will be hooked. Once the CD is over, you’ll hit the play button so you can hear the album again, with a new understanding of Stefani.

For Stefani fans everywhere, there will always be the jerks next to you who will poke you with their elbows and tell you how “ghetto” she is, but stick to your guns on this one. Gwen has yet to disappoint us. n