Rams halt the Rebellion

The CSU women’s basketball team moved to 4-0 in the Mountain West Conference, and 15-3 overall, with a narrow 62-57 victory over the UNLV on Saturday in Moby Arena.

The game was undecided nearly until the end. CSU took the lead for good with 41 seconds left when sophomore forward Joy Jenkins banked in a three-pointer to give the Rams a 58-57 lead.

“I kind of forced it up,” Jenkins said. “It’s all right, it went in.”

The three-pointer was one of a season-high 12 for CSU after failing to make one Thursday against San Diego State University. Saturday, it was UNLV (14-3, 2-2) that could not find its touch from behind the line. The Rebels went 0-12 for the game.

Rams head coach Tom Collen was pleased with the way his team responded after a lackluster performance against San Diego State.

“We’re a team that’s still trying to mature into a poised, championship team, and at times we don’t execute down the stretch,” Collen said. “Today, the players were pretty poised. I could have diagrammed any play, because they thought they could win.”

Junior forward Ashley Augspurger led the Rams with 18 points, all off three-pointers, as she regained her stroke with the rest of the team. Senior guard Angie Gorton recorded another double double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.

Once again CSU held the oppositions top forward in the second half, only to let her explode for a big second half. On Thursday it was Atim Otii of San Diego State, Saturday it was Linda Frohlich of UNLV scoring 14 of her team-high 18 points in the second half. Frohlich also corralled 12 rebounds for the Rebels.

UNLV also got 17 points from guard Constance Jinks, but it was the shot she missed that changed the game. After Jenkins three-pointer, Jinks took the ball against freshman guard Ashley Venekamp. She drove and stopped up for short jumper, which she missed.

Venekamp was then fouled and made her two free throws to seal the game.

“Ashley’s a strong defender,” Collen said. “She continues to get better every game. I really liked the poise of the team near the end when we went down. There wasn’t any quit in them.”

UNLV had one last chance, but Jinks turned the ball over on a bad pass. Gorton was fouled and made both of her free throws to make the score 62-57.

CSU is the only team with an undefeated record in conference play. The Rams next play Wyoming on Friday at Moby Arena. Wyoming is 9-7 and 2-2 in conference play after beating San Diego State by the score of 86-51.