By Jason Van Ort

The Collegian

The CSU swimming and diving team left BYU with a loss on Friday, but nabbed a close win from Utah on Saturday to end its road trip on a positive note.

Despite being fired up for the rivalry, the Rams were simply not able to keep pace with the Cougars, and lost with a final score of 129-114. However, the Rams did have several strong races, especially early on, but it was not enough to overcome BYU.

Following the effort though, CSU head coach John Mattos said was pleased with his team.

“This was a great meet tonight,” Mattos said. “Our team swam tough and came together.”

Strong performances from CSU included the sweeping of the 1,000-meter freestyle. Junior Becky Crissinger led the way with a time of 10:40.69. Senior Lyndsey Carlaw, last week’s Mountain West Conference swimmer of the week, won the 100-meter butterfly in 58.32

Sophomore diver Lori Anderson secured first and second place finishes on the 1-meter and 3-meter boards, respectively.

Saturday turned out much better for CSU, as the Rams edged out Utah by a point, winning the meet 122-121.

Anderson came up even bigger then the previous night, winning both the 1-meter and 3-meter boards. She was backed up by freshman Kara Crisp, who placed second on both events.

“Lori really came through on the boards,” assistant coach Chris Woodard said. “The fact that the competition wasn’t as stiff as it was Friday probably loosened her up.”

Despite solid diving, the CSU was trailing going into the last event, the 200-meter freestyle relay. It came down to the wire, as CSU’s Carlaw, Kelley Sullivan, Katie Peck and Kristen Knudson beat Utah by .32 of a second to steal the win.

“(The weekend) shows how tough our team is,” Woodard said. “They’ve been practicing so hard, and the fatigue is showing; but they continue to swim well in every event.” n