Author: Allison LeCain

It happens to everyone. You’re on a date with someone special – maybe you’ve just met or maybe you’ve been together for years – and the common question comes up.

“Would you like to split a dessert?”

This is a seemingly simple question, but it can be more complicated than you think. If you chose not to share, is that thought of as selfish? And if you chose to share, will you be able to fulfill your sweet tooth?

Luckily, through my own experience I have devised dessert relationship stages for you to follow.

Stage One: Skeptical Sharers

English: unrecognized dessert.

Decadent dessert. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

When dating someone new, at first you’re unsure of where your future is heading. You’re not committed, so why commit half your dessert to them? It’s perfectly acceptable to not share a dessert when you first start dating someone.

Stage Two: Sharing Sweethearts

As your relationship reaches official status, you become more apt to share. The sun shines every day, the birds chirping at dawn sound like a melody, and you can’t get enough of your lover. You want to share your whole world with them, which means it’s time to share dessert. You should always offer the last bite to your lover to show how much you care.

Stage Three: Stingy Sweeties

When you’ve been dating someone for a year or more, you know each other well and are completely comfortable around each other. At this point, you become a little stingy. Whose turn is it this time to get the last bite of dessert? Who gets to pick which dessert you have this time? At this point in your relationship you are ready to get separate desserts again. This doesn’t mean you care less about each other or that you don’t love each other anymore. It simply means that two desserts are better than one.