Author: Kelsey Peterson

[youtube]http://youtu.be/0dPcvysyo6g[/youtube]

According to Statistics Brain, there are 40 million people in the U.S. who have tried online dating, but what is it that convinces so many people to look for a relationship on the Internet? According to Lindsie Livingston, a Colorado State University student who used the site for about three months before deciding to delete it, claims it’s linked to our generation of college students. She said that because of the way in which we use social media, it is hard not to meet people online, so why not? She used a site called OkCupid, which many college students are currently connecting to. Most online dating sites charge a fee, but because of it’s demographic, OkCupid uses advertisers for income instead. According to Find The Best, an online database, the largest percent of users on OkCupid are between the ages of 18 and 34, which is a much younger age group than most other online dating websites. Colorado State University associate professor Patrick Plaisance said that his concern doesn’t stem from the idea of online dating, but rather from the way in which people communicate online. He said people tend to focus so much on themselves that people communicate differently online than they would in person. Plaisance also referred to the fact that because OkCupid is free, advertisers pay for the site, which means they are tracking your every click. “We relinquish that kind of privacy for the convenience of that free service,” he said. “With OkCupid and any other kinds of free service, we have to understand there is nothing that is free.”

Enhanced by Zemanta