Author: Makenzie O’Keefe

[youtube]http://youtu.be/shDvPMUxmn8[/youtube]

Most college students have a small budget and the last thing they want to spend their money on is groceries. But who knew it is actually very simple to eat healthy on a budget if you’re willing to prepare it? The Kendall Anderson Nutrition Center at Colorado State University can help educate students that eating healthy is obtainable even as a poor college student.

Their list to eat healthy for cheaper started with the idea to cut meat out of your diet when possible, choosing eggs or tofu as cheaper protein substitutes. A fun idea to accomplish this is eating breakfast for dinner. The Nutrition Center also suggested purchasing in bulk, cooking and baking your own snacks and treats to avoid chemicals and processed foods, making unique but cheap sandwiches, and purchasing fruits and vegetables that aren’t already precut and packaged.

Most students are unaware of how to eat healthy with limited budgets, drawing them to Ramen Noodles and other processed foods. Eating healthy is essential to our performance and future, so students should educate themselves about the option to eat healthy on a budget. The more you are willing to prepare and search in the grocery store, the healthier options you will find at a cheaper price.