Author: Allison LeCain

Burger and fries at Larkburger. Photo by John Sheesley.

A wise man once said that bacon is the number one killer of vegetarians. He spoke the truth, as bacon was the first meat I ate after being a vegetarian for five years.

As I ate that deliciously crunchy strip of bacon, served to me on a white, cracked plate at IHOP, I thought to myself, “Oh holy god of meat, what have I been missing all these years? This has to be the best thing I’ve ever tasted!” That is, until I tried a bacon burger.

Whoever thought of the magnificent combination that is bacon and a beef patty on a bun must have been a genius. At first it seemed overwhelming for me, a former veg-head, to be consuming two types of meat at once, but when I let go of my worries and took that first bight, it was like reliving my first bacon strip all over again.

Where did I get this burger you may ask? Stuft Burger Bar. Located on College Avenue in Old Town Fort Collins, you can get any combination of amazing burger toppings that you can imagine. You even get to pick from 15 sauces and six types of buns.

The topping choices are what make each burger at Stuft the best burger you’ve ever had, but the burger itself also tastes great. This makes Stuft a tough burger to beat, and my number one burger choice in town.

Coming in second is Larkburger. While they may not have the topping selection of their competitor, their burgers are seasoned to perfection. They also serve truffle burgers and fries, making them unique.

When I’m in the mood for some meat and peanuts, I go to Five Guys Burgers and Fries. I don’t think the quality or selection of burgers are as good as its competitors, but its funky vibe and peanut gallery still makes it my third choice for burgers.

Bacon will always be my first love as an omnivore, but I find that it’s consumed best with its friend – the cow.