Author: Jack Krause

Backpacking in the Grand Teton National Park, ...

Backpacking in the Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

As we anticipate warmer weather while we brace ourselves and loved ones in these cold months, camping season is approaching. We all know what we normally pack, but when you actually look at what you bring for food and the nutritional values associated, its plain to see we just aren’t eating right while around the campfire. CSU Recreational Centers Outdoor Club’s Leif Mattern explained some healthier food choices to make while packing for an adventure.

“For breakfast foods, I would say plain oatmeal with a little brown sugar or dried fruits would be great,” Mattern said. These foods are easier to pack and are definitely filling, giving you energy for your entire adventure. For dinner, Mattern says rice with any kind of sauce and vegetables are great for you, and the rice can be substituted with quinoa.

“A lot of people think that just because you’re camping, that you are restricted to dried packaged foods. The truth is you can be pretty creative with meals, just like you are at home,” Mattern said. He also explained that you can stick with diets but remember to remain conscious of the weight of materials, as you will be carrying them around with you. Canned foods are better than jars because they weigh less and you can bring vegetables and fruit with you.

One food group to stay away from is meat. Bacon and other meats attract bears and other animals to your camp. “Always remember to practice bear safety. Storing food properly in bear proof containers away from where you sleep. Bacon is tasty, but it stinks to high heaven and the smell will remain on your clothes.” Definitely not a good idea if you’re camping in backcountry.

With these tips, you should be well on your way to surviving and thriving while having a great time travelling and camping.