Author: Steven Starcer

Mountain West Conference logo

Mountain West Conference logo (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The Colorado State men’s basketball team rallied from being down by as many as 12 points in the first half to capture a 73-69 road win at Nevada on Wednesday night, thanks in large part to Greg Smith scoring a career-high 28 points and grabbing 12 rebounds.

The win moves the Rams into sole possesion of second place within the Mountain West Conference at 6-2 and improves their overall record to 19-4. One of the Ram’s starters, Pierce Hornung, was forced to leave the game in the first half due to an illness.

The Rams took a 69-67 lead with 40 seconds left when Colton Iverson made a putback layup off a missed shot and on the ensuing possesion Iverson stole the ball from a Nevada player, allowing Wes Eikmeier, who was just 2-15 from the field, to step to the line to knock down two free throws with 23 seconds left to extend the lead to four.

After Nevada hit two free throws of their own, Eikmeier was fouled again and hit two more from the charity stripe with seconds remaining to seal the victory for the Rams.

Next up for the Rams is a game at Moby Arena in Fort Collins, Colo. on Feb. 13th when they host San Diego State. The tip is set for 8:00 p.m. MT and the game will be aired on CBSS.

Enhanced by Zemanta