Author: Anna Palmer

Friends, Stephanie Lesar and Lauren Clark, show that love comes in all various forms.  Photo by Anna Palmer.

Friends, Stephanie Lesar and Lauren Clark, show that love comes in all various forms. Photo by Anna Palmer.

“Happiness can only come from inside of you and is the result of your love.  When you are aware that no one else can make you happy, and that happiness is the result of your love, this becomes the greatest mastery: the Mastery of Love,” wrote don Miguel Ruiz, spiritual teacher and world-renowned author.

Born into a family of healers, Ruiz’s parents instilled into him the teachings of the ancient esoteric knowledge of the Toltec people who lived thousands of years ago in southern Mexico.  For centuries, the Toltecs preserved their spiritual knowledge in an attempt to safe-keep this wisdom from those who could intentional misuse it.

As the world has moved forward into an age of change and new beginnings, this knowledge has seeped forth from spiritual teachers such as Ruiz, who now openly shares this authentic way of living that is embodied by inner happiness and love.

In this day and age, it seems that just about everyone is searching for love.  From dating and love advice in books and on the internet, to those who have made it their career helping others find and maintain love, it seems that such superfluous amounts of advice would guarantee love for just about anyone and everyone.  With online dating sites at the tips of people’s fingertips, love appears to be right around the corner for all who seek it out.

Despite the thousands of books and talk shows dedicated to solving this mystery of love, the only real way to know love is to practice it.

“Love in action can only produce happiness.  Fear in action can only produce suffering,” Ruiz wrote.

Giving his input on what makes a relationship last, Curt Schwader, senior English major, said, “There is no such thing as a successful relationship without communication.”

From this perspective, communication may just be one of the keys to opening the doors to finding and maintaining a relationship, romantic or not.

Other words of advice revolve around the concept of timing and simply letting things flow.  Anthony Radney, senior graphic designs major said, “Don’t try so hard.  You’ll find a relationship when it is meant to be.”

Stemming off of this, it appears that a romantic relationship finds you when you’re least expecting it and the trick is to not go looking for that special relationship, added Brianne Thayer, senior English major.

Yet, it seems that all too often people are searching outside of themselves to find that love, to validate their own worth.

“If you open your heart, you already have all the love you need.  There’s no need to go around the world begging for love.  We have love right here inside us, but we don’t see this love,” Ruiz wrote.

Ruiz advises all to accept and love themselves first and foremost, before accepting and loving someone else. Lauren Clark, senior journalism and technical communications major, maintains the view that above all, being a solid independent person who doesn’t have to rely on others for happiness is key.

“You need to be okay being alone before you can be with someone else.  If you can’t be alone with yourself, how can you expect anyone to want to be with you?” Clark said.

Others take the broader viewpoint of love not being limited to the scope of romance.  “People think of love in only one way.  Why can’t you love things like nature or life itself?” said Stephanie Lesar, senior anthropology and sociology major.

Whether it is love between two partners, two friends, or outside these person-to-person confines, love in its pure form is in essence the same love, according to Ruiz.  All love stems from the same source, the love that is inside each and every person just waiting to be accessed.

“There are millions of ways to express your happiness, but there is only one way to really be happy, and that is love,” Ruiz wrote. “There is no other way.  You cannot be happy if you don’t love yourself.”