Author: Michaela Koretko

Nothing says “Happy Holidays!” like the taste of a homemade treat. For a simple (but delicious) gift or party platter, try these recipes.

Hot Cocoa Mix

Give adorable little gifts people can enjoy like Hot Cocoa Mix in a jar. Photo by Michaela Koretko

Ingredients:

2/3 cup cocoa powder

2 cups sugar

1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

1 cup marshmallows

Suggestions:

Layer these into a decorated jar for a perfectly festive gift. When ready to use, the recipient can separate out the marshmallows, mix the cocoa, sugar and cinnamon together, and add two or three tablespoons to a cup of hot water or milk (possibly with a little eggnog). Add marshmallows to preference.

What a cheap and easy gift to give, homemade chocolate turtles are everyones favorite! Photo by Michaela Koretko

Ingredients :

2 dozen candy caramels

2 dozen pretzels

1 23 oz. bag of chocolate chips

2 dozen pecan halves (optional)

Directions: Put the pretzels out on a microwave-safe plate. Unwrap the caramels and place one on each pretzel.  Microwave the caramel-pretzel plate for 30-60 seconds, until the caramels start to get soft. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave (following the instructions on the bag). Put a spoonful of melted chocolate on each  caramel-pretzel. If desired, press a pecan half onto each one. Put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the chocolate hardens. Package them nicely and give them as a gift, or put them on a plate and enjoy!

Rice Krispie Wreaths

Rice Krispies Treats

Rice Krispies Treats (Photo credit: stickyii)

Ingredients:

6 cups Rice Krispie cereal

4 cups mini marshmallows

3 tbsp. butter

3  drops green food dye

red-hot decorating candies

Directions: Melt the marshmallows and butter in a large bowl by microwaving and stirring the mixture in 20 second intervals. When melted, stir in the food dye. Stir in the rice cereal. Spoon onto wax paper and make into wreath (donut) shape. Add red-hot decorating candies. Allow to cool and harden, then package or serve.