Author: Nicolle Fagan

Do you have a special someone on your shopping list? Do you want to one-up your sibling and get your parents the better gift this year? Do you want to share a piece of your life at CSU with someone else in your life?

There is no denying the stress you feel around the holiday season to get the best of the best for your loved ones. Fortunately, College Avenue has compiled this list of go-to items for everyone on your shopping list. From your mom, to your brother, to your dog, there is something special for everyone. All the items hunted down for this list can be found in Old Town and will make this year one to remember.

Specialty olive oil from the Rocky Mountain Olive Oil company. Photograph by John Sheesley

Speciality olive oil from the Rocky Mountain Olive Oil company. Photograph by John Sheesley.

Mom: Specialty Olive Oil from the Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Company; $18.50 to $33.50

You wouldn’t think olive oil was all that exciting, but the flavor selection at the Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Company is sure to change your mind. From Cinnamon Pear to Thai Lemongrass Mint, the wall to wall options will make it easy to find something for any mom’s pallet. A 375 mL bottle runs around $18.50 and the larger 750 mL bottle costs $33.50. And if you can’t decide which flavor to get, they offer sample packages that make awesome gifts.

Dad:Fudge from Kilwin’s; $15.95 a pound

Chocolate turtle fudge from Kilwins. Photograph by John Sheesley.

What dad wouldn’t enjoy a pound of fudge to wash down their holiday meal? Kilwin’s offers classic fudge flavors like chocolate and chocolate peanut butter, but they also have specialties like maple walnut, turtle, and Fort Collins mud. Kilwin’s also gives out free samples for tasting, so Dad isn’t the only one who gets some of the deliciousness! Your dad doesn’t like fudge? They have plenty of other sweet goodies for under $20.

The Worst Case Scenario Daily Survival Calendar for 2013 from Killer Rabbit.

The Worst Case Scenario Daily Survival Calendar for 2013 from Killer Rabbit. Photograph by John Sheesley.

The Boy in Your Life: The Worst Case Scenario Daily Survival Calendar for 2013 from Killer Rabbit; $12.95

Simply put, it is “a day to day guide to surviving a year’s worth of peril.” Each day has a funny (and sometimes helpful) tip in the form of a history lesson, a mini hero story, or a how-to guide. Some examples are how to survive a fall onto subway tracks and how to stop unwanted PDA.

The Girl in Your Life:Texting gloves from White Balcony; $26.95

Fancey texting gloves from White Balcony.

Fancy texting gloves from White Balcony. Photograph by John Sheesley.

A gift that is fashion-forward and practical is the best way to go. White Balcony features texting gloves that are softer than cashmere. Milk protein inside the fabric’s fibers makes the gloves cushiony-soft. The gloves will keep hands warm while they use touch-screen devices.

Hide a Squirrel toy from Wagz.

Hide a Squirrel toy from Wagz. Photograph by John Sheesley.

Dog: Hide a Squirrel toy from Wagz; $14.99 to $21.99

Dogs are part of the family too! Wagz offers a unique toy that is designed to entertain pups with puzzle-solving. The toy is designed to keep dogs occupied, and the three squeakier toys inside can be interchanged with treats to make the “search” more fun. The Hide a Squirrel toy is available in both a small and large size for the tiny Maltese to the Great Dane in your life.

Grandma:Recycled Newspaper Picture Frame from Ten Thousand Villages; $18

Recycled Newspaper Picture Frame from Ten Thousand Villages.

Recycled Newspaper Picture Frame from Ten Thousand Villages. Photograph by John Sheesley.

When you were little, Grandma loved getting your homemade gifts. You can still show her your artsy side while supporting artists in developing countries. At Ten Thousand Villages, all products are sold to support artists in countries that don’t have the market or appreciation for art that we have in the United States. Philippine artists create usable items from recycled newspapers and magazines, and the picture frame is just one of many options. Just place a picture of the two of you in the frame, and it will be a gift that Grandma can share will all of her friends.

Tea in a Jar

Tea in a Jar from Happy Lucky’s Tea House. Photograph by John Sheesley.

Grandpa: Tea in a Jar from Happy Lucky’s Tea House; $20

Nothing compliments retirement like specialty tea. For the tea-lover in your life, Happy Lucky’s offers a Great Wall of Tea to choose from. Buy by the ounce or in a gift jar; nothing from this little shop will disappoint.

Aunt:River Stones for Massage from Nature’s Own; $20

Massage Stones

River Stones for Massage from Nature’s Own. Photograph by John Sheesley.

Life can be stressful and no one would turn down a massage kit! Hot stone massages are soothing and therapeutic, and a perfect way to let your aunt know that she should spoil herself every now and then. Don’t know anything about hot stone massage? Nature’s Own offers instruction books for purchase as well.

Uncle: Six-pack of beer from Odell Brewery; $8.99

Fort Collins is known for an active beer culture, so get your Uncle a uniquely Fort Collins ale. O’Dell Brewery is located downtown, but you can find their beer at any liquor store in town.

Note Pads from Curiosities. Photograph by John Sheesley.

Roommate:Note Pads from Curiosities; $8

Wish you had a way to list all of the annoying things your roommate does? Curiosities offers a variety of funny checklists that will help your roomie blow off some steam!

Shelves of books at Old Firehouse Books.

Shelves of books at Old Firehouse Books. Photograph by John Sheesley.

Friend: Any book from Old Firehouse Books; Prices vary

Old Firehouse Books is the perfect combination between a used bookstore and Barnes & Noble. With both new and used books available, you can spend hours looking for something interesting to read. Sales on overstocks for Christmas are just around the corner, so it’s the best time to snag a great deal. If you have no idea what kind of books your buddy would like, they also offer gift cards!