Author: Hannah Woolums

Cocktail by candle light 1: "With some of...

Cocktail by candle light 1: “With some of our living room in the background” (Cocktail, champagne, New Year’s Eve 2006) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

As the holiday season begins to roll around and the year gets closer to its close, New Year’s resolutions start to pop into people’s heads.

This year let’s make it different. Everyone has made the resolutions to lose 20 pounds, get straight A’s, or find your true love. Instead of making those unrealistic resolutions that everyone knows that they will never actually follow through with, make it something to look forward too.

Here are a few fun and interesting new ideas, that don’t all require you to change something about yourself or habits because you feel like you need too. Make it fun, make it something you want to do, and an easy challenge for yourself.

Here are five New Year’s resolution ideas that not only let you be creative, but are easy to achieve and allow you to feel accomplished and start the New Year off right.

Become a vegetarian

Are you an avid carnivore that has to have some form of meet with every single meal? Well try becoming a vegetarian for a few months or even a few weeks, just to test it out. Don’t make it something that you will change for the rest of your life (unless you discover you really like it that much); just take on the challenge of trying something new. Get out of your comfort zone and expand your horizons, but please remember to still get your protein into every meal. You may find that you really like it, and it will give you a better understanding a meat-free lifestyle.

Think of different excuses to why you don’t have something done

Let’s face it, ‘the dog ate my homework’ or ‘I left it sitting on my desk at home’ are excuses that are getting old. If you are someone who typically turns things in late, or just doesn’t do some assignments at all, make it interesting. Don’t come up with the same boring excuse; think of something new, plausible, but still enough to make your professor laugh, and hopefully get you that extension that you were aiming for in the first place.

Do more for yourself

I know you all hear about self-care all the time, from many different sources, but they might be onto something. This year take more time for yourself, even if it’s only a half-hour a day. You will be surprised at how much better you feel. Make these things that you wish you had time to do, or something that you have never thought about doing before. As long as it makes you happy, you will feel like you can take on more of what the New Year brings.

Try a new hair cut/color

A big thing in society is appearance. This year try something different. Start with something that is not permanent. Hair is the perfect thing to experiment with because it can drastically change your style, but hair grows back so you aren’t stuck with anything forever. Dye your hair some weird color that you have always wanted to try, or cut it drastically short because you’ve had long hair your whole life. This is a fun, simple, and obtainable resolution that can be fulfilled without the stress of it being permanent.

Find a better job

This resolution may be harder than the others to accomplish, but if you get up every day go to school and then go to a job that you hate, your year is going to last a lot longer than those who are doing something they love. As college students, crappy jobs are always in the cards, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t experiment with different lines of work, or make your way up to a manager position. This is the time of your life to experiment, so make it a goal to get you through the New Year.