Author: Allison LeCain

We college students are hard to shop for. Usually I end of getting rolls of cash instead of tangible items for holidays, which is great. Other times I receive items that I would rather live without, such as girly smelling lotion, my fifteenth pair of sunglasses, or jewelry that is not my style.

Since it’s uncommon for gifts to come with receipts, these presents get thrown into my closet and forgotten about until moving day. Seems like a waste, but fear not, for there’s a solution.

Christmas gifts.

Christmas gifts. (Photo credit Wikipedia)

No one wants to turn into a hoarder and the holidays can be a stressful time of spending money. You can eliminate both these fears by regifting unwanted presents from years past.

For example, in the case of the girly smelling lotion I received to my dismay, I prefer softer, fresh scents, like oatmeal and vanilla. I recall that my roommate loves floral scents, so the lotion would be a perfect thing to regift to her this holiday season.

One of the keys to regifting is that you should still put as much thoughtfulness in it as you would if you were buying something new. If you got a punk CD you dislike for your birthday, don’t give it to your friend who also hates punk music. This is inconsiderate and doesn’t show how well you know them as a friend.

Also, avoid regifting a present back to the person who gave it to you in the first place, unless you’re prepared to pull-off the old “well I liked it so much that I thought I’d get you one too!” No one likes a liar. Keep it clean, people.

When regifting, be sure to consider the item’s condition. Don’t regift something that has been used or has missing parts. The gift receiver will know it’s been used and won’t appreciate your gesture.

While regifting is a perfectly practical way to ‘shop’ for the holiday season, it is better not to tell people when you are regifting to them. In addition, don’t tell the person who originally bought the item for you that you gave it to someone else. No hard feelings are necessary in this practice.

If you own something that you don’t need that doesn’t qualify for regifting, remember that there are homeless shelters and donation spots in town that would be more than happy to receive gently used items, especially this time of year. So either way, the joy of giving is always an option.