Author: Allison LeCain

Beer is the most widely consumed alcoholic beverage in the world, and with all the micro-breweries in Ft. Collins, CSU students have the chance to sample many delectable beers.

Most bars in town feature the same six beers at a time.  They have the standards, such as Bud Light and Coors, and a few seasonal beers from local breweries. The Mayor of Old Town offers a different beer experience.

Austen Miller and Derick Burton enjoy their Goose Island Matildas at The Mayor of Old Town on a Thursday afternoon. Photo by Allison LeCain.

Voted best place to get a beer by CSU students this fall, The Mayor of Old Town has 100 beers at a time on tap.  They feature beers from around the country and around the world, as well as local beers.

Owner Kevin Bolin said that only 30 of their beers are fixed and the other 70 are rotators that change monthly.  At any given time, their selection is approximately 33 percent local beers, 33 percent national and 33 percent international.  That makes for a lot of choices.

“They’re all so good, that’s the problem,” said Austen Miller, senior natural resource recreation and tourism student. “You’re sitting here for like half an hour trying to think what beer you’re going to get next. No matter what, there’s always a solid beer to go for.”

Bolin and his wife opened The Mayor of Old Town in July of 2011.  After selling their renting business, Kevco, Bolin said they were on the hunt around the country to find a new place to live and open a new business doing something different.

After some soul searching and traveling, they realized that there is no place better than Ft. Collins. In their travels, the Bolins had seen a lot of great beer bars.

“To have such an awesome beer culture here, and to have the same six beers at every bar, it seemed very apparent that we could stay here to take on our next kind of business,” Bolin said.

The concept of this beer bar has been heavily accepted throughout the community, as Bolin said the support has far exceeded his expectations.

In the past year The Mayor of Old Town has won top five beer bars by Playboy, top 15 beer bars in the nation by craftbeer.com, and top 100 beer bars in the nation.

While The Mayor caters to people of all ages, young people enjoy the alternative atmosphere that they experience there.

“They bring in a lot of beers from all over the country. You can’t find that anywhere else,” said Derick Burton, who graduated from CSU in May 2012. “I guess this place is like a beer aficionado.”

The Mayor of Old Town offers 100 beers on tap. Photo by Allison LeCain.

With so many beers to choose from, Burton recommends the Goose Island Matilda from Chicago as one of his latest discoveries at The Mayor. Since 70 of the taps are always changing, there’s always something new to try.

“It’s always changing, always evolving, always adjusting and that keeps people interested and makes them try things they haven’t’ before,” Bolin said.

While The Mayor does attract college students with their many beers and café meals served all day, the atmosphere is very different than most college bars. Instead of a crazy place to get drunk and dance, it’s more of a relaxing spot to enjoy a beer and have a conversation with a friend, according to Miller.

Miller said he thinks the prices are not bad, ranging from $4 to $6 for a nice beer. In addition to fair prices, Miller said the servers are friendly and knowledgeable about beer.

“This place has really kept drawing me back to it, so I’ve started coming here more and more,” Miller said. “You just can’t beat it.”

As the weather turns colder, people can expect to see more browns and stouts at The Mayor.  Bolin said the bar manager has a great pallet and good taste in beers, so she heads up the selections.

Bolin believes that this local beer bar is a place that students can feel proud of since it is a unique, more relaxed vibe than other beer spots in town. At The Mayor, there’s always something new to try.

“I like it because it’s not like everybody comes here to get a Bud Light,” Miller said. “People come here to branch out.”

632 S. Mason St.
Fort Collins, CO 80524
(970)682-2410
Hours:
Mon – Fri 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.
Sat – Sun 9 a.m. to 12 a.m.