Author: Allison LeCain

Autumn is officially upon us, which means the holidays are creeping up. In most cases this involves house decorations, warmer clothing, and

christmas sweater - 1

Christmas sweater (Photo credit: GobberGo)

pumpkin spiced everything, but I’ve noticed one more trend that’s been sweeping the city.

Every elderly lady is sporting seasonal sweaters. The other day I saw an adorable old lady wearing the typical cotton-blend turtleneck with an autumn-themed sweater over it.  The sweater had a tree with fall-colored leaves on it. To top it off, there was a squirrel with an acorn in the tree and each leaf had a tiny sequin on it. As I admired the stitch work I found myself thinking, ‘I want her sweater’.

This time of year, grannies look so festive it’s almost unfair. I wish there was some way that I could pull off this merry look without looking like a turd.

Pretty soon we’ll be seeing elderly women all around Fort Collins, warm and cozy in jack-o-lantern sweaters, turkey sweaters and finally holiday sweaters with jingle bells and all.

I wish that young people would take on this sense of fashion. Every morning I’d think to myself, ‘how can I feel as comfy as possible while looking as festive as possible today?’ Now that’s the way to live.

TELLURIDE, CO - DECEMBER 18:  (L-R) Jayson Hal...

Good sweaters for gaper day. (Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)

In a way this style makes sense for young people. We are busy-bees, and with the constant movement and work we do all day, we deserve to have the comfiest clothes as possible. In addition, it’s our job to go all-out for the holidays to show future generations how it’s done. This is easily accomplished by having a seasonal sweater for every day of the week.

As of right now, the only excuse people my age have to wear grandma-esque sweaters are the yearly ugly sweater party and gaper day on the ski slopes. I say boo to the status-quo; let’s get our grandma style on!

No Responses to “Too School for Cool: ‘Tis the season of the sweaters”

1. Yeh! Allison, your G-ma wears decorated sweat shirts for all the holidays! They are comfy “plus” and not too expensive. You can get them at Target,K-Mart and Wal-Mart etc.!