Author: Allison LeCain

The Best Gol Darn Beer Ever.

The Best Gol Darn Beer Ever. (Photo credit: Bmaas)

Does the saying ‘it doesn’t count as alcoholism until you’re out of college’ mean anything to you?

When people hear tales of college, they usually involve drinking. You come home for winter break and all you hear about from your friends is how wasted they were when they jumped off the roof, fell out of a tree, or woke up in a stranger’s bed. This makes it feel like college is all about drinking alcohol.

I myself turned 21 almost a year ago (what do I have to look forward to now!?), but my 21st birthday certainly wasn’t the first time I had tasted alcohol (sorry mom).  I’d be lying if I said that underage students at CSU don’t drink, as it’s easy to look up the statistics online, but in my opinion some of the underage students are smarter than others.

It’s my understanding that the majority of underage students tend to move in crowds, house-party hopping on Friday nights. For others, it seems like there is no way they can possibly wait to go to bars or buy something at a liquor store, so they choose to ‘turn 21’ right now.

Fake ID’s are nothing new, though it is becoming increasingly easier to get them, what with the internet and all that jazz. Once a person has a legitimate-looking ‘fake’, they can join their 21-and-up friends for a night of buying overly-priced alcoholic beverages and mingling with some honeys.

While it is ridiculously unfair that a person can serve in the military and vote at the age of 18 but cannot buy or consume alcohol, the repercussions for dodging this law by purchasing a ‘fake’ are costly, and I don’t just mean money-wise.

If a person is caught with a fake ID, there are several possibilities of punishment by law. These range from a $1,000 fine to one year in jail with a felony or misdemeanor charge on your record, depending on your criminal history.

This image shows a red wine glass.

This image shows a red wine glass. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Now this may just be my belief, but I’m thinking that messing up your college career by going to jail might not be a good plan. You should treasure those few more months/years you have of being underage, because after you’re 21, life kicks into gear. Soon you’ll graduate college and be in the real world. That’s when you’ll be wishing you were underage with less life decisions to make.

Stay smart rams and think before you drink.