Author: Allison LeCain

Let me start out by saying that I absolutely hate how much expensive clothes cost. It’s just fabric and some string, so why is it $50? It’s certainly a mind boggler. Then I saw the video for Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ song, ‘Thrift Shop’, and had a revelation. People can look awesome wearing other people’s old clothes.

If you haven’t seen the video for ‘Thrift Shop’, go watch it right now.

OK your back! It’s a known fact that clothing trends come back around. Think about it; bell bottoms were totally hip in the 70’s and if you’re a 90’s baby you definitely wore those on the first day of school every year until you were 13. Also, leggings have been rocked on and off since long before I was born.

Since styles go in cycles like this, it makes absolute sense that there would be some super cute clothes at thrift shops that someone’s grandpa had dropped off. Plus winter is coming up, so this is a great opportunity to fill your closet with sweaters in interesting prints without breaking the bank.

Chances are when you go shopping for thrift clothes, you’re not going to hit the goldmine on the first try, but never fear. Fort Collins has an

new recycle design

new recycle design (Photo credit: artbymags)

abundance of thrift stores to check out, including Repeat Boutique, Goodwill, Arc, Eco-Thrift, and many more.  I suggest making a day out of it and hitting up several of them.

With used clothing, there’s always that awkward uncertainty about who wore the clothes before you. Most of the things found in thrift stores smell like R. Kelly’s sheets, but that’s usually fixed with a single wash cycle… maybe double-up on soap.

I’m a strong believer in that anyone can pull off any look with the right attitude. So wherever you go, whatever you buy, whether you decide to wash it or not, make sure to wear it with confidence and strut your stuff.

No Responses to “Too School for Cool: Only got $20 in my pocket”

1. Allison is correct,cloths are trendy.. So wear what you like and wear it proudly. While you are doing this don’t forget all the money you can save by shopping the “fun” Thrift Stores!