Author: Kenneth Myers

Every year CSU throws its students a concert: the Ram Jam. Presented by ASAP, this year’s headliner, to the delight of many, is Cobra Starship.

After releasing their fourth album, “Night Shades,” the band has spent most of the year touring. The album overall received great reviews, the only major complaint being that it lacked the variety of their previous installments. Although, in its first week available to the public, it reached 50 on the Billboard 200. The single, “You Make Me Feel…” also gained Billboard’s notice, peaking at number 7 on their Hot 100.

Cobra’s style is undeniably dance music, though with a slant on the usual happy-go-lucky attitude most dance carries. The not so happy attitude of their lyrics has put the band resolutely in the realm of “alternative dance”.

Opening for Starship will be local duo, Breathe Carolina. The electronic rock of David Schmitt and Kyle Even is Colorado home grown and has been progressively gaining popularity since their creation in 2007. Their single “Blackout”, released on Sept. 20, 2011, not only peaked on charts in the U.S. but also in Canada, and, after selling 500,000 copies, became the group’s first gold certified song.

Asking around, many students were excited to get to see such a popular band for such a low price, but beyond that it seemed people saw it as a way to meet other students they might not otherwise have the opportunity to.

Specifically, as freshman Rachel Ross said, “I’m excited to get to meet people who don’t live on my floor. It’s a great way to bring students together, regardless of major or age.”

The concert is taking place on Sept. 15 at 6:30 p.m. (doors opening at 5) on campus at the Intramural Fields near the Rec Center. Tickets are available at the Lory Student Center’s iBox for $10 to students and $22 for the general public.