Jul 112012

Author: CollegeAveStaff

By Kate Wilson

As a little girl, I imagined someday I’d be swept away by a prince of some kind. He didn’t have to be the typical fairytale hero – just handsome, strong and completely obsessed with me. That idea of a prince was crushed during my young adulthood when I hit the dating scene.

Then when I was in my mid-20s, the image of the perfect handsome, strong and completely obsessed man came to my attention once again. Enter: Edward Cullen. By the time I read the “Twilight” series, I was a happily married woman well on my way to driving a super-size SUV and wearing mom jeans (metaphorically speaking – I’d NEVER really wear mom jeans). Oh, the shame of nearing 30 and crushing on a fictional sparkly vampire who would forever remain 17.

The “Twilight” book series was followed by the movies, which were embarrassing at best. But I couldn’t help myself. And I think the majority of women I know between the ages of 17 and 40 couldn’t help themselves either.

And that’s why I’ve been in such a rush to see “The Hunger Games,” now in theaters. Although I’ve heard the movie itself is phenomenal, I’m interested in something much more fantastical. I’m interested in the trailer for the final installment of the “Twilight” series films, “Breaking Dawn, Part II.”

So what’s the fuss about these ridiculous characters? The question should be: what’s not to fuss about them?

I’ve always been a bit mesmerized by vamps: first by Brad Pitt in “Interview With a Vampire,” because, well, it’s Brad Pitt. Then I saw “Bram Stoker’s Dracula,” starring Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves. The movie scared me to death when I saw it at the tender age of 11. Nevertheless, I was intrigued by the way such a murderous creature could love a woman so passionately (and I was strangely attracted to Gary Oldman as Dracula).

I’m also a big fan of the “Underworld” film series, but not as much so because it’s a female lead and, well, I’m just not attracted to Kate Beckinsale. But her half-vamp, half-wolf counterpart did have me coming back for more (with the sequels).

I tried to get into “True Blood,” because the main vamp character, Bill, falls in love with the dumb blonde waitress lead, Sookie Stackhouse. I thought it might strike the same chord as the Edward-Bella relationship did in “Twilight,” but no-go. “True Blood,” although quite dramatic and full of sultry scenes, was too disgusting for me. What I learned from “True Blood” is that I like my vampires clean-cut and almost human. They can be all about killing humans and sucking blood, as long as they don’t get dirty and they’re dedicated to one woman and one woman alone.

My newest infatuation has fallen with Damon Salvatore, the hot bad-boy brother of Stefan Salvatore on “The Vampire Diaries.” The cheesy soap opera is much like a long, drawn-out “Twilight” with added witches and ghosts. I’ve chosen Damon, the more rebellious and violent vamp brother, because he’s the ideal man for most women, like myself. Both brothers fell for the same girl, main female lead Elena, but Damon is the one who had to change the most to love her. Stefan, who really just followed his usual sweet nature, is much less appealing.

And that’s what the fuss is about with these blood-sucking, fanged male characters. They must fight their inner nature and thirst for blood in order to love their women so fiercely. They sacrifice who they are in order to keep their lovers safe. They change. They give women hope. They are the opposite of reality.

Ladies, if you’re going to love a man, don’t expect him to sacrifice everything. If you really love him, you’ll love him as he is. If you need a fix, just go to the movies. And gents, if you have fangs, you’re a step ahead.