Jul 112012

Author: CollegeAveStaff

By Kelly Sterner

Garry Trudeau said, “Commencement speeches were invented largely in the belief that outgoing college students should never be released into the world until they have been properly sedated.”

For some us, our graduation contracts are signed and we’re getting ready to suit up in our cap and gown to sprint to the finish line.

Along with the relief of knowing this is the last semester of scantrons, FAFSA, and the paint fumes in the library, there are the negative Nillies to rain on our parade.

People believe we don’t realize there is more to worry about within the next few months than just tripping across the stage or hoping the person who trails us in the alphabet has their hung-over pyrotechnics under control.

Everyone’s an economist with the conclusion that there are no jobs, so I should go hide in grad school. It’s funny how these “economists” disguised as neighbors, friends and family members think it’s more sensible to spend money instead of make money.

Grad school is a great idea if you know why you are going and you aren’t just going to delay the inevitable process of entering the “real world.” I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you’re already in it.

Don’t let the golden rivers of beer and Tony Frank’s beard fool you.

I don’t do optimism, but I’m giving it a whirl. I don’t have the college-grad delusion that I’ll be a CEO right out of the gates simply because I pushed through four collegiate years, but I think this is the most exciting time in life that people shouldn’t shy away from.

Put your big-girl panties on and deal with the fact that school’s out forever and you have to get a job. Life’s tough, get a helmet.

I’ll retire my lucky pencil, party like it’s 1998 and crank up the old Alice Cooper. Get excited about the future and take advantage of an underutilized reason to have a party, because you can have your cake and drink beer too.