Jul 112012

Author: Logan Martinez

By Logan Martinez

Decorating small wall spaces can get cramped quickly, especially in a dorm room or apartment. Well, why not make some of those essential pieces a little more fun to look at?

A bulletin board does not have to be square or simple, so grab some scissors and run to the craft store to make your personalized bulletin board.

Materials:

A roll of cork OR cork squares (available at Wal-Mart, Joann’s, Hobby Lobby or Michaels)

1. Scissors or an Ex-Acto knife
  2. Printer
  3. Paper
  4. Tape
  5. Marker

First, find the dimensions of the space your bulletin board will take up.

Then, you can find a shape or image that you want to use, this article uses a camera as the shape of choice, but there are so many different ideas, including logos, vehicles or animals.

After deciding on the shape, paste the image in Excel. Crop around the shape and enlarge it to the dimensions from step one. Now, when the image prints, it will come out on several sheets of paper, rather than shrink to fit on one page.

Using scissors cut out the image and tape it together to create one large image. Now, lie out the cork facing down and place the image face down on top of it and trace the shape onto the backside of your cork with a marker.

Depending on the density of the cork, use scissors or an Ex-Acto knife to cut out your shape, if using cork squares, super glue or a hot glue gun work well to glue the pieces of cork together. When applying it to the wall, use double-sided adhesive tape, or the adhesive that is included with the cork roll or squares.

Mount it on the wall and start pinning stuff to it! So easy, fun and a great conversation starter!

Note: when choosing the cork, some are very thin, so it would be good to double it up or mount it on a piece of cardboard for durability.