Jul 112012

Author: CollegeAveStaff

By Emily Smith

Stilettos. Pumps. Wedges. Kittens. Slingbacks. Boots. Platforms.

On Sun., April 15 all kinds of different high heels – fabulous and funky to sophisticated and summery – will make an appearance on the CSU Oval.

CSU’s Fashion Group International will host “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes,” a charity walk in high heels. According the group’s Facebook page, the walk will raise awareness for women who are striving to become self sufficient. Partial proceeds will be donated to the Junior League of Fort Collins ABLE Women Career Closet – which outfits women in need with appropriate interview and work clothing.

“FGI decided to do the walk because we wanted to add more variety to our events that we participate in, beyond the annual fashion shows that we create and organize using student designs,” said Kealy Bowers, president of FGI.

Heels for ladies are encouraged, not required, and men are welcome to walk as well (or rock a pair of heels themselves!)

“We are most looking forward to helping outfit women who are striving to be self-sufficient in our local community,” Bowers said. “It will be a great morning filled with fun, food, music – all for the sake of a great cause.”

Participants can register in advance at the CSU iBox in the Lory Student Center or on csutix.com for $30 for teams of four and $10 for individuals.

Or, registration will be available on race day at a price of $35 for teams of four and $12 for individuals. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. and the race, which will be two laps around the Oval, begins at 9 a.m.

“We are very excited for the event since this is our first year putting it on,” Bowers said. “And we plan to make it an annual event every spring.”

For more information, students can visit Fashion Group International CSU Student Chapter’s Facebook page.