Jul 102012

Author: Ricki Watkins

“Ladies and gentlemen, let the 74th Hunger Games begin!” It was on when the movie was released at midnight on March 23, 2012, bringing in a whopping $155 million on opening weekend – the third largest box office debut in history.

Based on Suzanne Collins’ bestseller, the movie was much anticipated by “Hunger Games” fans everywhere.

“I [wanted] to see if they [could pull it off] because the images in my head [were] so hard to imagine actually being put onto a big screen,” Ali Anson, freshman sociology major at Colorado State University, said.

“The Hunger Games” is the first book in Collins’ award winning trilogy that captivated audiences young and old, male and female. Listed as a bestseller by The New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly, the book has sold more than 11 million copies since its publication date in Sept. 2008.

Why does “The Hunger Games” have readers eagerly flipping through pages and moviegoers on the edge of their seats?

“Action. Suspense. Romance. Enough said. Real enough to relate to, surreal enough to be horrified if it was you,” Anson said.

The plot has succeeded in captivating millions of fans. Set in the future, 12 districts must each give up one male and one female to compete to the death in the Hunger Games. Katniss Everdeen from District 12 volunteers herself as a competitor to save her younger sister, leaving behind her family and best friend, Gale. She forms a strong bond with the male competitor, Peeta, from District 12, as they fight for their survival, although only one can win.

“I love that [the book] gives young women a strong female protagonist instead of a moonstruck girl who throws herself off a cliff when her boyfriend leaves her,” undeclared freshman Riley Gearhard, said. “I forced my sister to read them so that she could get off the whole “Twilight” kick and show her that it’s OK to be strong and independent.”

A Lionsgate Entertainment production, the movie was directed by Gary Ross, who also directed “Seabiscuit.” Jennifer Lawrence took the lead role, playing Katniss Everdeen. Peeta Mellark was played by Josh Hutcherson and Gale Hawthorne was played by Liam Hemsworth.