Jul 102012

Author: Allison LeCain

By Allison LeCain

The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings

Xbox 360 – Release date April 17

As a sequel to “The Witcher,” released in 2007, gamers take control of the witcher, Geralt of Rivia, a genetically enhanced human with unique powers. There are many different paths gamers can take, all which follow the halt of the rebellion against the king of Temeria. In this game, Geralt continues to protect the king from assassination while bringing peace to the state.

Avid gamers, Jon Pait, 20, a junior journalism student at Colorado State University and Tony Ramirez, 21, a junior agricultural science student, said the game features deep role playing elements that will satisfy even the most hardcore role playing gamers. They say it’s definitely not one to miss.

Prototype 2

Xbox 360, PS3 & PC – Release date April 24

The gamer takes on the character of Sgt. James Heller, whose family was killed in the outbreak of the Blacklight Virus.  His goal is to destroy the virus and kill Alex Mercer, who unleashed the virus in the original game.  Heller possesses powers of shape shifting and taking on other peoples’ identities and memories. In the game, players can decide what kind of powers Heller will get as they go through the mission.

As a player of “Prototype,” Jon Miksch, a 23-year-old senior mechanical engineering major at CSU, said the game is great for when you’re just in the mood to blow things up.

“If the sequel is anything like the original, then “Prototype 2” is worth a play through,” Miksch said.

Sniper Elite V2

Xbox 360, PS3 & PC – Release date May 4

Taking place shortly after World War II, the gamer takes on the role of Karl Fairburne, a U.S. sniper in Berlin whose job is to rescue those involved in the V2 rocket program.  With a plethora of weapon options, the game goes through 11 missions, but each varies greatly by the gamers’ preference.

Ian Howe, president of 505 Games U.S., said in an article on “The Dark Side of Gaming,” “Sniper Elite V2 will be the most brutally realistic military sharpshooter out there on the market. Our World War II Berlin is utterly realistic in terms of locations, weapons, vehicles, uniforms, music and other important details. We want them to get into the mindset where one bullet really does count.”

Though the game may be extremely realistic, Miksch said he thinks that another World War II video game is unneeded and outdated.  Pait and Ramirez agree with this statement.

“Everything about this game looks dated,” Pait said. “It takes place in World War II, a setting long abandoned by the shooter scene.”

Ghost Recon Future Soldier

Xbox 360 & PS3 – Release date May 22

The game takes place in the future where a four-man Ghost team fights an ultra-nationalist force that takes over Russia and surrounding countries. The gamer assumes the characters of all four Ghosts, going behind enemy lines on deadly missions to kill opposing forces and save their countries.

No Responses to “Let Your Inner Gamer Out: Video game releases”

1. Howdy! This is an admin comment.