Jul 102012

Author: Hannah Woolums

By Hannah Woolums

Over the last decade the three-dimensional trend has swept the nation. It started with 3-D movies only available in theaters and has expanded to consumers being able to have this luxury in the comfort of their own home.

3-D continues to help the already popular movie industry by providing new and enthralling films that allow the audience to interact with the film. Whether it is the 2004 release of the classic tale “The Polar Express,” or the 2009 attention-grabbing movie “Avatar,” the 3-D storm has swept the world over, but how long will it truly last?

3-D was developed in the early 20th century. The first 3-D movie was released to the public in the 1920s. Around the 1930s, 3-D went off the radar for over ten years.

According to etiole.com, to get 3-D to work, different perspectives of two separate images are entwined on to the screen at the same time. A filter with different slits in it allows the eyes to each perceive a different set of pixels. The brain then combines this information into a single image that gives the illusion of something being three-dimensional.

New 3-D phones are being produced with minimal 3-D capabilities. Gaming on phones is a big target for 3-D producers, but this technology is still in the works. With the new invention of 3-D TVs with viewing available without the use of 3-D glasses, and the progression of 3-D technology on to phones, what is going to happen to this fad? Every new technological invention adds an increasing cost to consumers in an unstable economy.

For freshman civil engineering major, Jordon Jensen, the 3-D movement will never die out.

“It’s [3-D] not going to pass because of the technology, because it keeps getting better, so it might improve but it will not go away,” he said. “[It is so popular] because it’s bad-ass. The technology is so much better and it makes everything so much more real.”

Nick Patenaude, a sophomore business major, disagrees.

“It is definitely passing. It will be around, people will buy it, but then something else will come out and they will move on to that,” he said. “The 3-D TVs people will just end up with them and then they won’t use the 3-D part of it because it’s gone. [Its popularity is] just because it is a status symbol.