Authors: Andrew Carrera

A search committee charged with finding CSU’s next chancellor voted to pass on the name of the best candidate for the position to the university’s Board of Governors on Monday night, according to CSU spokesman Kyle Henley.

The board will hold a special meeting via conference call on Thursday at 8:30 a.m. to discuss accepting the recommendation. Choosing to do so can usher in a vote to name a finalist, after which the candidate’s name would become public.

But a source close to the process who wished to remain anonymous doesn’t expect the board to move so quickly.

“ … Thursday morning (they) will presumably deliberate that recommendation and prepare to announce a sole finalist for the position,” the person said, stressing that the candidate’s identity will be officially made known at a later date.

But unofficially, the word may already be out. Louisiana State University Chancellor Michael Martin said Tuesday night he was being “seriously considered” for the job, according to Baton Rouge, La. newspaper, the Advocate.

“I think Colorado State is still deciding if a formal offer will be made, and if a formal offer is made, I will formally consider it,” he said in an interview with the publication.

Pat McConathy, an LSU alum and former Board of Governors member, led the chancellor search committee.

Henley had no comment on whether Martin was being tapped for the chancellery.

But it is confirmed, however, that he was seriously considered for CSU’s presidency in 2003. After a similar search process, the Board of Governors declared him to be a finalist for the position. His rival finalist was Larry Penley, who ended up taking the job only to resign in 2008 amid widespread criticism of his job performance. He was replaced by current-president Tony Frank.

The chancellor search committee started its work in December of 2011 after then-chancellor Joe Blake announced his plan to resign in July that same year.

Developing. Stay with the Collegian for more updates.

News Editor Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.