Weekender Calendar 5/4/12

MUSIC:
Whitewater Ramble with The Henhouse Prowlers and Chain Station PHOTO
Hodi’s Half Note
Friday
8 p.m.
$10, $5 under 21
“Self-described as “High-Octane Rocky Mountain DanceGrass”, WhiteWater Ramble uses a simple recipe to craft its sound –– bluegrass instrumentation, add drums, and a boundary-less approach to grassing-up everything from house grooves to reggae,” according to Hodi’s website. “The Colorado-bred quintet combines the elements of mandolin, fiddle, acoustic guitar, upright bass, drums and vocals to explore the musical boundaries of multiple genres to fuel their own mixture of original music and innovative cover song interpretations.”

Ghost in the Machine CD Release Party with Echo Chamber
Road 34
Friday
9 p.m.
$5
“Ghost in the Machine (collective) is an ever expanding audio/visual project featuring musicians and artists from all over the globe,” according to Road 34’s website. “The current live line up features Nick Duarte (of Post Paradise), Kris Smith (of The Holler!), Brian Zeiger (of Peace Officer) and Joel Decatur. Ghost is a hard hitting rock band live and also features performances from Alana Rolfe (of Fierce Bad Rabbit) as well as AK and Shane Cooper (of Peace Officer).”

Michal Menert w/ Paul Basic, Ill Mannered and The Beatserver
Aggie Theatre
Saturday
8 p.m.
$17
According to Michal Menert’s Facebook page, “Michal Menert is the first artist signed to Pretty Lights Music, after co-producing Pretty Lights’ debut album, ‘Taking Up Your Precious Time (2006)’ and contributing to a handful of the project’s tracks afterward.” His music is described as “tastes like a memory from the future and rhymes with orange.”

A.S.A.P. Another Sam Art Party
Hodi’s Half Note
Sunday
6 p.m.
The event features music, beer, raffles and art provided by Sam Walsh.

THEATER:
‘Dido and Aeneas’ by Henry Purcell with Opera Scenes
Organ Recital Hall, University Center for the Arts
Friday
8 p.m.
Free
“Presented by the NEW Charles and Reta Ralph Opera Center with string quartet and harpsichord/piano accompaniment The annual opera scenes program includes a fully staged production of one of the few surviving examples of Baroque English opera: Henry Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas featuring Dido’s beautiful and haunting lament ‘When I am laid in earth,’ a popular aria to this day,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu. “The evening will be complemented by excerpted scenes from operatic literature, ranging from Baroque to modern. Minimal sets and costumes require a greater sense of imagination, creating a profound acting experience for the singers.”

‘The Sound of Music’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Evening Performances:
Lounge and Bar open at 5:30 p.m.
Pre-Show begins at 7:15 p.m.
Matinee Performances:
Lounge and Bar opens at 11:30 a.m.
Pre-Show begins at 1:15 p.m.
$49 matinee, $59 evening
“The world’s best-loved musical, “The Sound of Music,” is a lavish and critically-acclaimed production telling the uplifting true story of the Von Trapp family’s flight across the mountains,” according to the Midtown Arts Center’s website. “With its unforgettable score, “The Sound Of Music” touches the hearts of all ages and brims over with some of the most memorable songs ever performed.”

LIFE:
IM Summer Season 1 Sign-up’s
Campus Recreation Center
Saturday
7 a.m.
“Today kicks off the sign up’s for Season 1 IM sports and goes until 5.13 p.m.,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu. “Season 1 includes 4v4 sand volleyball, Tennis, Indoor Soccer, Golf and XBOX FIFA Tournament.” For more information visit campusrec.colostate.edu.

Late Night Breakfast
Lory Student Center
Sunday
9 p.m.
Late Night Breakfast will be open to the first 650 students with their IDs.
“Have some fun and take a break from studying with free pancakes, potatoes, bacon, OJ and coffee,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu. There will also be massages, music, prizes and trivia. Come join us for some good food and good times!”

ART:
Rescue and Redemption
Lincoln Center Art Galleries
Friday
5 to 8 p.m.
Free
As part of Fort Collins’ First Friday Gallery Walk, “the Lincoln Center will present the work of five artists who creatively rescue and repurpose consumer, construction, architectural and industrial waste, offering them redemption in the form of fine art objects,” according to www.beetstreet.org. “Bob Coonts, Erick C. Johnson, Susannah Mira, Lee Somers and Les Sunde see discarded objects with an eye toward what can be, rather than what was. The line, shape and colors of the detritus of modern life speak to these artists in a unique language.” The exhibition will continue through Saturday, June 2nd.

Live Oil Painting Demo
The Fine Art and Frame Company
Friday
6 to 9 p.m.
Free
Artist Mike Brouse is giving a live oil painting demo, and visitors can enter their names for a chance to win the painting.

Opening reception of Connie King’s exhibition
Trimble Court Artisans
6 to 9 p.m.
Free
“Connie King, a local Fort Collins artist, presents a new collection of fabric creations using David Butler’s Parson Gray fabric with functional ceramic pieces to coordinate,” according to www.beetstreet.org. “Connie will also have some new items using local artist Amelia Caruso’s Effervescence line of fabric. By popular demand there will be ties and some home decorating items.”

Surrealist Writing Games
The Bean Cycle/Matter Bookstore
Saturday
2 p.m.
$10
“Employ some of the creative strategies of the Surrealists to kick start your writing. We will be using ideas culled from the Surrealist painters and writers to spark our imaginations,” according to www.beetstreet.org. “Join writers to play Poetry Poker, write echo poems, follow the writing advice of Tristan Tzara and use bibliomancy. We will use language games and techniques for creating outrageous stories and poems.”