Authors: Seth Stern

First and foremost for my last column at CSU for The Rocky Mountain Collegian, I hope I influenced some of you to recognize the utter futility in trusting authority. Never forget: Authorities are just people. They’re not special, talented or smarter. Often times they are less so than you, but I digress. If you haven’t learned it by now, you probably won’t.

I certainly enjoyed working with Sam Noblett, Matt Miller and Colleen McSweeney for the last two semesters, and I took great pleasure in harassing everyone else whenever the opportunity arose. Not to say I didn’t enjoy working with anyone else, but I didn’t work with anyone else.

One change I would love to see next year is voices from the Agricultural and Mechanical colleges writing opinion and editorial content for the Collegian. Believe it or not, you folks are the ones who will sustain this college moving forward. Though Liberal Arts is the largest school, it’s also going to produce the fewest employed graduates per capita.

This is, first and foremost, an Agricultural and Mechanical school. If I could change one thing about CSU, I would restore it to Colorado A&M and start strengthening the school’s reputation as a beacon for ag, mech and veterinary sciences.

With degrees in sociology and journalism and a minor in political science, I can say with conviction the liberal arts exist only to separate fools from their money. The majority of skills I “learned” about actual reporting and newswriting were part of my high school education but likely were lacking in yours.

Simply put, the state of public education is drowning higher education in mediocrity. That an entire semester could be dedicated to copy editing, which was tantamount to a 12th grade literacy class, would be laughable if it weren’t so sad.

If you’re an agriculture, mechanical, veterinary or minority student and you’d like a chance to find, develop and share your voice and views, by all means apply.

Finally, I would like to thank those from whom I learned or benefited during my time at CSU. From the Collegian: Madeline, Ian, Jordyn, Andres, Matts (Minich and Miller), Sam and begrudgingly even Sean Reed, from whom I learned nearly nothing and agreed with even less but who gave me the opportunity to write –– it was a blast.

Sarah Millard, Joe Vajgrt, Jesse Benn and Sam Lustgarten are all very talented writers with distinct voices. They all happen to be wrong on nearly everything they say, but they have a command of the language any college student would benefit from reading, and they articulated clear opinions of substantive issues.

To Jim Sojourner, it was a truly inspiring experience to watch you become more and more skeptical through the time we worked together –– to see you now recognizing the incompetence latent in authority is immensely entertaining.

Jim Landers, my friend, fellow veteran and journalism adviser whose first words of advice were, “Pick another major,” I learned immeasurably from you. And most of it took place outside of the classroom during our informal discussions.

Jamie Switzer, Jack Lovelace and Kim Spencer, all of whom left positive impressions on me as teachers and professionals, helped my growth as both a writer and student.

Michael Humphrey, my adviser and friend here at the Collegian has been a godsend in helping me to not only grow as a writer but in understanding new media and how best to utilize it.

To my veteran friends, non-traditional students and anyone I failed to mention, it’s been fun. Now back to adulthood. Damn.

S. Jacob Stern enjoyed his time at CSU, encourages you all to donate and vote for Ron Paul and hopes none of you ever trust government again. His column no longer appears in the Collegian. Letters, job offers and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.