Authors: Kevin Lytle

Three former CSU football players watched this weekend as the NFL Draft didn’t fall their way. For the second year in a row no Rams were selected, but shortly after the Draft concluded, they found themselves on the road to the NFL.

Offensive lineman Paul Madsen, linebacker/safety Myke Sisson and running back Ray Carter all have been invited to rookie camps over the summer.

A little less than an hour after the Draft concluded Carter tweeted that he was headed to Green Bay. Almost immediately, however, he tweeted that he was actually signing with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

“That whole situation was crazy,” Carter said on Sunday. “My agent was doing his job trying to find the best spot for me to go. Green Bay didn’t draft a running back so we were going to pursue Green Bay. At the same time, the Jaguars had a high interest in me and we were just waiting on a call so we kind of rushed it a little bit.

“At first thought I was going to go that route, but then Jacksonville’s head scout called me and it just went from there.”

Carter ran for 585 yards and four touchdowns his senior season and saw his stock go up after an impressive performance at his Pro Day. He is now ready for the opportunity to prove himself and work with Pro Bowler Maurice Jones-Drew.

“I’m going to a place where I can get a good opportunity to show them that I’m capable of playing,” Carter said. “I’ve just got to show them that I’m capable of doing a lot of things at a high level.”

Madsen, a 6-foot-4 tackle, signed with the Buffalo Bills almost immediately after the Draft concluded and is expected to be in Buffalo this weekend for a minicamp.

The 5-foot-11 Sisson said that it was a little nerve-wracking in the late rounds as his name wasn’t getting called, but shortly after the Draft ended he started hearing from teams and is now going to a tryout with the Seattle Seahawks.

His task now is to prove that the ankle injury that kept him out for seven games this season does not limit him and he is able to make plays in the NFL.

“When it comes down to it, it’s not when you go or where you go, it’s what you do when you get there,” Sisson said.

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

NFL signees

Running back Ray Carter
Team: Jacksonville Jaguars

Linebacker/safety Myke Sisson
Team: Seattle Seahawks

Offensive lineman Paul Madsen
Team: Buffalo Bills