Authors: Allison Sylte

Three CSU football players and a CSU freshman have received disorderly conduct charges in wake of an investigation regarding their involvement in an April 6 physical disturbance outside of a party at the corner of Laporte Avenue and Shields Street.

The players -–– junior defensive end Nordly Capi, junior linebacker Mike Orakpo and junior defensive end Colton Paulhus –– have been suspended indefinitely from the team by coach Jim McElwain.

“I am aware of the charges filed today against Nordly Capi, Mike Orakpo and Colton Paulhus,” McElwain said in a statement released Thursday afternoon. “This matter remains under university investigation, and as of this time the status of the student-athletes remains unchanged. I will not have further comment at this time.”

Donald William Gocha, a freshman health and exercise science major who also received a disorderly conduct charge, was knocked unconscious by Capi, Orakpo and Paulhus during the altercation.

“I heard yelling coming from down the street, so I started running, then I could recognize (my friends), so I started sprinting,” said Dylan Hagen, a student involved in the fight, in an interview with the Collegian on April 7 at Corbett Hall. “When I got there, Donny (Gocha) was already unconscious and J.D. was on top of him and they (the attackers) were stomping on him, kicking him.”

Gocha suffered a severe eye contusion and cuts on his face and lip. According to a April 8 story in the Collegian, treadmarks from a shoe were clearly visible on the back of his shoulder.

In regard to the disorderly conduct charges, Gocha posted on his Facebook Thursday, “Once again our justice system pulls through on doing a royally sh**ty job.”

Six of the 10 students involved in the fight were CSU football players, though only three were charged, which according to Linda Jenson, the public information officer for the District Attorney’s office, was determined by their level of involvement. One student other than Gocha was severely injured, according to a news release.

“It is believed that Gocha’s friends were trying to break up the fight and protect Gocha, who was knocked unconscious at some point during the incident,” according to a press release.

Jenson said the charges, which are a class three misdemeanor, can carry a $50 to $700 fine and up to six months in jail. Those accused will have their first court date on May 30.

Now that police reports have been filed, the brunt of the work for the university will begin, according to CSU spokesman Mike Hooker.

In an interview earlier this month, Dean of Students Jody Donovan said Capi, Orakpo, Paulhus and Gocha can face expulsion from the university.

“The reports are important because they provide investigated, documented evidence of alleged student behavior, which helps university officials determine appropriate consequences,” said Hooker in a news release. “The student conduct process is independent from the police investigation and can result in university disciplinary actions regardless of the decisions made by police and prosecutors in the criminal justice system.”

The statement added that student conduct officials exercise authority to place a student on immediate interim suspension and ban students from campus. Sanctions are determined based on the severity of the incident the student was involved in, as well as past behavior.

Stay with the Collegian as this story develops.

Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.