Authors: Erik Carman

There comes a time in every professor’s career when he or she must deliver his or her last and final lecture. For two professors here at CSU, that time will come early.

Professors Lumina Albert and Carl Patton will give their last lectures Thursday at 5 p.m. in room 211E of the Lory Student Center. Lectures are expected to be between 15 and 30 minutes in length.

The last lecture series is something that began at Carnegie-Mellon University, said sophomore environmental sociology major and GUIDE representative, Lindsey Earl.

It originated with a professor there named Randy Pausch, who was dying of cancer and wanted to deliver one last lecture. The story has become famous by Pausch’s book, which became a bestseller.

“A lot of universities have had this event,” Earl said. “And I wanted to bring it to CSU.”

Earl said she emailed more than 100 professors for the event, two of which have committed to giving a “last lecture” this Thursday.

The professors were asked to give a lecture as if it were the last one they would ever give.

“It doesn’t need to be a lecture about their discipline,” Earl said.

Patton, a professor of physics here at CSU said he was looking forward to the opportunity.

“Whenever anybody offers me a chance to interact with students –– it’s what I’m here for, so I like to do it,” Patton said.

Patton, who has taught at CSU for the past 40 years, said he was happy to have the chance to interact and give advice to students. “Especially freshmen,” he added.

Albert, who teaches business here at CSU, was recently awarded the 2012 Best Teacher of the Year Award by CSU.

Albert moved to the states nine years ago from Madras, India and said that though she has only taught at CSU for four years, she feels her journey has taught her lessons about life that she would like impart on students.

“I would like the opportunity to teach students what I believe is most important in life,” Albert said. “Don’t follow your heart, follow your aspirations.”

Both professors said students can expect to receive life advice, with tips on how to succeed in both the professional and personal sphere.

“Students will hear some heartfelt advice,” Patton said. “From someone who has been there and done that.”

Collegian Writer Erik Carman can be reached at News@collegian.com.

– Two CSU professors will be giving their “Last Lecture” this Thursday – The lectures will give general life advice. – The event will take place at 5 p.m. in room 211E of the Lory Student Center