Authors: Andrew Carrera

The 37,593 students in the CSU three-campus system could be introduced to their new chancellor as soon as next week.

The search committee charged with finding one after Joe Blake stepped down from the position on Dec. 31, 2011 has narrowed the applicant pool down to several candidates and will present their names –– or just one –– to the system’s governing board when they meet on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss university affairs.

The group of 15 individuals will look over the recommendations and ultimately determine who will replace Blake, who was charged with setting the system’s legislative strategy, acting as the chief spokesperson for all its campuses and working to increase engagement among the entire operation’s more than 200,000 alumni.

The decision can be made during next week’s three-day meeting or postponed until June, giving the board more time to personally sit down with the recommended candidate or candidates.

The search committee has met over the course of five months to review the applications they’ve received for the position. Jamie Ferrare, a senior vice president with AGB Search, an academic executive recruiting firm, said that most chancellor hiring processes take place within a four to seven month time window.

“Things have been going surprisingly well,” said Rachel Roberson, Associated Students of CSU vice president, who sits on the committee.

She explained that the group has been in the process of conducting background checks on the applicants, phoning their previous employers to find out whether they’ve developed a capacity to mentor “even the great Tony Frank.”

“It still remains that those individuals are anonymous until the (Board of Governors) names them as finalists,” Roberson said.

Rumors about who they are have swirled in the meantime. When Penfield Tate stepped down from the Board of Governors citing personal reasons, the Denver Post reported that he was suspected to be a candidate for the chancellor position.

While speaking strictly about the hiring process, Roberson said if an individual was employed by the system and wanted to vie for the chancellery, he or she would be “required to relinquish their current post in order to put in a legitimate application,” in a previous Collegian interview.

Since his resignation, however, Tate said that it would be incorrect to say that his move was a prelude to a chancellor bid.

Former Gov. Bill Ritter –– who currently serves as the director of the Center for the New Energy Economy at CSU –– has also squashed rumors he is being considered for the chancellery.

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.