Authors: Emily Smith

Since last fall, Brooke Martinez, a senior ethnic studies major and women’s studies minor, has been planning an event she hopes will spread awareness, comfort and bring groups together on campus. Martinez has been planning Diversity Week at CSU.

“I wanted to collaborate with different groups on campus,” said Martinez, president of Fair Advocates for Cultural Truths (F.A.C.t.). “It’s very separate –– there’s a lot more room to come together.”

Martinez said Diversity Week is also important for educating the CSU population as a whole.

“I know it’s hard for a lot of people of color and people from different backgrounds to feel comfortable here,” she said. “I think getting awareness out there (is important).”

Diversity Week kicks off Monday with a discussion, Spanish film and vocal hip-hop performance by a group from Oaxaca, Mexico. According to Martinez, the hip-hop group has resisted the Mexican government as well as formed community gardens, groups and service projects.

United Men of Color will host a skit and discussion Tuesday asking “What makes a man?” and the Campus Feminist Alliance will host the Take Back the Night rally Wednesday to raise awareness about sexual assault.

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) will host “How Islam Condemns Terrorism” on Thursday. Speaker Shakir Muhammad will discuss how Muslim practices are against terrorism.

“It is not lawful to harm or kill innocent civilians,” said Jared Woodrow, junior criminal justice major and president of MSA. “It’s expressly forbidden in the Koran and Hadith.”

Woodrow said bringing the truth about this subject to CSU was good for his group to show there is an extreme minority of Muslims in the world who feel it is justified to harm or kill innocent civilians.

“We’re not this violent group of people,” Woodrow said. “It’s important for us to put that idea out there.”

Diversity Week will culminate in a discussion about “cultural awareness and collective empowerment” and a potluck of “free and diverse food” sponsored by the Associated Students of CSU Friday night at Rolland Moore park.

“I’m looking forward to supporting the groups and hopefully seeing a very diverse group of people attending,” Martinez said.

Woodrow also said he hoped the events of the week would bring people together.

“While everyone else in the world is splitting up and growing apart, it’s really our generation that needs to bring everyone back together,” Woodrow said. “Small little events like this may not seem like much, but it’s a start.”

Collegian writer Emily Smith can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Diversity Week Events
Monday
“Cuando Una Mujer Avanza (When a Woman Steps Forward)”
-April 23, 6 to 8 p.m., LSC Rooms 214 and 216

Tuesday
Discussion, film and hip-hop vocal performance hosted by Fair Advocates for Cultural Truths
“The Measure of a Man”
-April 24, 6 to 8 p.m., LSC Commons

Wednesdsay
“Take Back the Night”
-April 25, 6 to 9 p.m., LSC sculpture garden & Old Town square
-Rally and march featuring Mia Mingus and Suzi Q hosted by the Campus Feminist Alliance

Thursday
“How Islam Condemns Terrorism”
-April 26, 6 to 7 p.m., LSC Virginia Dale Room
-Speaker Shakir Muhammad hosted by Muslim Student Association

Friday
“A Night Out With Diversity”
-April 27, 5 to 7 p.m., Rolland Moore Park (shelter 2)
-Potluck and discussion sponsored by ASCSU