Authors: Emily Smith

On April 28, the training of 34 young horses by CSU students will culminate in the 2012 Legends of Ranching Performance Horse Sale.

Morgan Hargrove, a senior animal science major, has been training a two-year-old Palamino gelding named WYO Trusty Sidekick.

“When we were first assigned horses, many of them had never been worked with, haltered or led around at all,” Hargrove said. “They were just as wide-eyed and nervous as I was.”

For Hargrove, it was the first time being not only a rider, but a teacher as well.

“I now try not to be a passenger rider,” she said. “I try to be a confident leader when I ride.”

Hargrove faced an additional challenge in the training class: Overcoming her inability to mount from the ground, because of severe hip dysplasia that led her to an artificial titanium hip replacement.

WYO Trusty Sidekick waits patiently as Hargrove climbs the nearest fence to mount him.

“It has always been humiliating to have to explain to people,” Hargrove said. “And this class has helped me take what some people would consider a disability of working with young colts and turn it into my unique ability. And for that I am forever grateful.”

Hargrove is one of 34 undergraduate equine students that were assigned to train the young quarter horses for seven months. Sixteen other equine students planned all aspects of the actual sale through a sales management class.

“The students are required to go through a riding evaluation to make sure they have at least the necessary skills to be safe and progress a horse,” said Bobbie Walton, the training class instructor.

Walton said the sale is an opportunity for the students to show off the hard work they’ve put in and gain experience in marketing the horses to a crowd of 300 to 500 people.

“You cannot beat the sense of accomplishment you receive when you finally see your horse on sale day,” said Lizzie Kanetsky, a senior equine science major and teaching assistant for the training class. “You feel proud to hand your horse over to its new owner, knowing that both you and your horse learned from each other.”

Leah Roepke, also a teaching assistant for the training class and a junior majoring in equine science, said the training class is important for getting the young horses ready to be sold.

“But the sales class is just as important,” she said. “We are responsible for editing the catalog, creating stall assignments and hip numbers, and help set up the arena for the sale.”

According to a press release, the 2011 auction generated more than $250,000 with an average price of $4,052 for quarter horses in the sale. The proceeds of the auction are divided among consignors, sale costs and CSU’s equine sciences program.

The Legends of Ranching Performance Horse Sale will begin April 28 at 1 p.m. at the B.W. Pickett Equine Center on Overland Trail, with a sale preview beginning at 9 a.m. Thirty-four two- and three-year-old quarter horses plus 31 older working quarter horses will be offered for sale.

For more information, students can visit equinescience.colostate.edu.

Collegian writer Emily Smith can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Event Details
-What: 2012 Legends of Ranching Performance Horse Sale
-When: April 28, 1 p.m. with a sale preview at 9 a.m.
-Where: B.W. Pickett Equine Center on Overland Trail
-Horses: 34 quarter horses ages 2 to 3 years old trained by CSU students, 31 older working quarter horses consigned by partners of CSU