Weekender Calendar 4/13/12

MUSIC:
Pops Concert: A Tribute to John Williams
Timberline Church
Saturday
7:30 p.m.
$20 regular, $10 students
The Fort Collins Symphony is performing a concert this weekend in honor of John Williams, who has won more than 20 Grammy Awards and five Academy Awards. He is best known for his musical scores for the “Star Wars” films, “E.T.,” “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” “Saving Private Ryan” and “Schindler’s List.”

The Infamous Stringdusters with Pert Near Sandstone
The Aggie Theatre
Saturday
8 p.m.
$15
“The Infamous Stringdusters are at the forefront of a new movement in bluegrass music,” according to the band’s website. “Their unmatched virtuosity has enabled them to take acoustic music to a completely new level. They wield an expansive repertoire touching on masters from Jimmy Martin to John Hartford, but their strength lies in their original compositions.”

Ian McFeron
Avogadro’s Number
Sunday
7 p.m.
$7
“A prolific songwriter whose lyrical prose and fervent work ethic has drawn comparison to Bob Dylan and Ryan Adams, Ian McFeron has released a steady stream of albums” since 2003, according to his website. “From the beginning, McFeron dedicated himself to building audiences the old fashioned way: on the road. Traveling from city to city, state to state, nation to nation, McFeron performs an average of 200 shows a year spread throughout the United States and Europe, inspiring listeners with his beautifully crafted songs and honest narratives.”

THEATER:
‘The Ladies Man’
Lincoln Center
Friday and Saturday
8 p.m. both nights, 2 p.m. matinee Saturday
$22 to $27 adults; $16 to $20 seniors, students and groups of 10 or more; $16 to $20 matinees
“To fully enjoy ‘The Ladies Man,’ you must suspend belief and remove your hat of plausibility for a zany ride,” according to a press release from OpenStage Theatre. “Charles Morey’s free-handed adaptation of Georges Feydeau’s fast-paced and frothy French farce is set in turn-of-the-century Paris. The shaggy-poodle story tells of a physician wrongly suspected of infidelity by his youthful wife. As a result, comedic confusion lurks behind every door and mistaken-identity cases multiply like mayflies.”

LIFE
5K and 10K Run/Walk Series for Global Health and the Environment
CSU Oval
Saturday
8 a.m.
Pre-Registration (T-shirt included): $25 for adults, $15 for students, $10 for children 12 and under, $100 per group of 10 (students only)
Race Day Registration (T-shirt included): $30 for adults, $20 for students, $15 for children 12 and under
Society of Global Health Researchers in Action is hosting this race and will put on two more in July and August. Walk-in registration is at the Foot of the Rockies, and online registration can be found at www.active.com and www.runninguru.com.

ART:
Christopher Capozziello’s ‘The Distance Between Us’
Center for Fine Art Photography
Friday and Saturday
11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday

“Christopher Capozziello believes that there is ‘a redemptive quality to photography; that it can take the unpleasant or repulsive and make it beautiful, not by misleading anyone, but by allowing the viewer to stop and take a deeper look at the subject,’” according to beetstreet.org. “This can be seen through his body of work ‘The Distance Between Us’ that showcases his twin brother’s fight with cerebral palsy.” The exhibit runs through April 28.

Tiempo Colorado: ART 342 Artists-in-residence Exhibition
Rendition Gallery
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Free
As part of the First Friday Gallery Walk, the Rendition Gallery is opening an exhibition of new work by ART342 SPRING 2012 Artists-in-Residence: Michelle Dickson, Kathleen Scott Moore, J. Bruno Torres and Susannah Mira, Lee Somers. The exhibition runs through April 20.

Fiber Art Exhibit
Poudre Studio Artists and Galleries
Friday and Saturday
11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
“Pieces (featured in the exhibit) range from wearables, such as hats and scarves, to whimsical sculpture and even video,” according to a press release. According to Becky Hawley, Marketing Director of Poudre Studio Artist and Galleries, “Fiber art is so interesting because it takes materials that we think of as functional, and uses them in a completely different way.”

MOVIES
Friday
“The Innkeepers” 10 a.m.
“Friends with Kids” 3:45 and 5:45 p.m.
“Salmon Fishing in the Yemen” 1:45, 4:15 and 6:45 p.m.
“Casa de mi Padre” 9:15 p.m.
FoCoMX musical performances (including silent film) from 7 to 11 p.m.
Free Kid’s Matinee: 2 p.m.
Saturday
“The Innkeepers” 10 a.m.
“Friends with Kids” 1:15, 3 and 5:45 p.m.
“Casa de mi Padre” 9:15 p.m.
Sunday
“The Innkeepers” 4:30 and 9:30 p.m.
“Friends with Kids” 2 and 7 p.m.
“Casa de mi Padre” 9:15 p.m.