Authors: Taylor Pettaway

This Sunday, Colorado State students and Fort Collins residents will walk to help those in need. However, instead of wearing running shoes, participants will be in high heels.

The Fashion Group International, a non-profit organization through CSU’s Department of Design and Merchandising, is hosting the “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” charity event that will take place at 9 a.m.

According to the school of social work program director Brenda Miles, charity is beneficial to those both donating and receiving.

“We all want to feel like we are part of a community,” Miles said. “We all want to make that community a happier place. People who have needs will always benefit from assistance.”

The organization is attempting to raise money for the Able Women’s Closet, a local career closet sponsored by the Junior League of Fort Collins. This group helps women by providing business and interview clothing.

“We provide free clothing to women who are striving to be self-sufficient,” said career closet coordinator Jana Brandes. “We like to provide (the women) with self-confidence, and provide them with tips to mix and match their clothes with business and casual, and just help them feel good about going into an interview.”

According to Brandes, FGI chose the Able Women’s Closet for their charity because some members already volunteered there and thought that the organization would be a great place to donate to.

“We wanted to focus on a cause that helps empower women while still relating to fashion since we are the fashion club on campus,” said FGI president Kealy Bower. “We also wanted to donate locally because we want our organization to have an impact on the community. We all have a passion for the apparel industry and this allows us to partner with an organization that uses fashion as an outlet to increase confidence in women that are overcoming adversities.”

FGI hopes that this event will help the Able Women’s Closet be able to boost their plus-size selection in order to help more women, according to Bower.

Participants in the walk, whether they are male or female, are encouraged to wear heels and costumes to join in the two lap walk around the Oval, in order to raise money, raise awareness and have fun.

“My favorite part about this event is how unique it is,” Bower said. “We are excited to offer a fun morning for friends and family to dress up and support a great cause.”

Though this is the first year that the event has been put on, they are hoping that it won’t be the last.

“It is the first time that we have planned a large event other than our annual fashion shows,” said Bowers. “It has all been a great learning experience, and we hope it turns into an annual event for us because it is a great chance to give back to the community.”

Advanced registration for the event is available at the Lory Student Center Campus Box office or at CSUtix.com for $30 for teams of four and $10 for individuals. Walk-day registration is available before the walk for $35 for teams and $12 for individuals.

Collegian writer Taylor Pettaway can be reached at news@collegian.com.