Authors: Moonier Said

The annual tradition of choosing For-Ever-Green t-shirt designs took a turn this year with a never-before-seen tie in student votes and eventual Wednesday night Senate vote to choose the winning shirt.

Associated Students of CSU Elections Manager Andrew Ives announced the tie on April 4 before the reveal of ASCSU’s elections results.

Treating the t-shirt tie like one between candidates, ASCSU officials brought the situation to Senate for deliberation on Wednesday and, after an hour-long contentious debate, members chose to break the tie instead of open voting up to students.

Freshman Thomas Rooney, the lone CSU student who attended the hearing, went against the motion of giving the final decision to ASCSU.

“I was only speaking my opinion and trying to give voice to the student body,” Rooney said, adding that he ideally wanted ASCSU to let students make the final decision.

Ives and Tim Brogdon, the director of Student Services, appealed, however, to have the tie-break be decided by Senate members.

“This program is under ASCSU, and we are in the process of owning the trademark for For-Ever-Green, especially the design contest,” said Brogdon on his reasoning for wanting to treat the situation as an ASCSU general election.

As for Ives, he said there was no legal recourse for having ASCSU vote on behalf of the student body.

“This is a great opportunity for Senate to show that it’s a representative body,” he added.
After both sides gave their reasons as to whether the voting should take place, members of Senate became divided about whether they should be the ones to vote for the winner or if the students should.

The procession became very serious with rebuttal after rebuttal. It wasn’t until Ives and Brogdon proposed ASCSU pay the $2,000 it would cost for a re-vote that Senate took action.

During the initial voting that the students participated in for the contest, a lot of planning, marketing and money went into the distribution of ballots in print and through Ramweb.

“While it may not cost $2,000 exactly, it’s very expensive to get Ramweb to hire technicians to create a ballot on the website and encode to make sure it’s safe so that there’s no cheating,” Ives said.

Besides the cost, there would also be an issue with the time frame shirt manufacturers have to send the final design to stores and RAM Welcome.

“The process of creating the shirts from heavier cotton is expensive, but we do it because it’s the best material and we want the shirts to literally last forever,” Brogdon said.

After all was said and done, Senate moved to vote for the design that represented CSU the best. The results of the vote were: 10 votes for design number two and five votes for design number four. Four members abstained from the vote.

“I think this debate was great,” Brogdon said. “Discussion about For-Ever-Green is a good thing because it can help build momentum to turn this into a serious tradition.”

Collegian writer Moonier Said can be reached at news@collegian.com