Authors: Kevin Lytle

Friday’s practice will serve two purposes for CSU. The first is the team will get a game-like travel day to see how it’s able to operate in that atmosphere.

The second is a positive from a public relations perspective. The 6 p.m. practice at Infinity Park in Glendale will give Rams fans in Denver an easy opportunity to see their team.

“That’s the main reason we’re going down there,” quarterback Garrett Grayson said. “We know we have CSU fans everywhere in the state of Colorado and across the country, so it gives everyone an opportunity to see us play and see how much we’ve improved and show that it’s going to be a different season next year.”

The Rams will travel from Fort Collins as a team Friday afternoon, similar to the way they will travel to every game come fall.

“I think a lot of it is the team getting more used to game preparation,” defensive end John Froland said. “You never play a game where we don’t all get on the bus and travel somewhere. I think that’s a big part of it, is getting everyone suited up, sit down on the bus and focus and go down and actually have a productive practice.”

Because of the size of the field at Infinity Park, usually used for rugby, coach Jim McElwain will have to alter his practice plans a bit. There is less available space than at CSU’s practice facility, making Friday’s session similar to those run at the Indoor Practice Facility on campus.

Earlier in spring McElwain complained that the size of the IPF makes practices there a very ineffective use of time. He said he will have to focus on team drills because of the lack of space.

“I know it’s hard sometimes for people to come out, come down and be able to see us, so I think it was a great idea,” McElwain said. “I think the good part is not only do we get to take it down there and Rams fans can come see us, but the other thing is to see how our guys focus after a little bit of a travel, see how they re-engage their mind to focus on getting better.”

Fans in Fort Collins will get their next chance to see the team Sunday at 12 p.m. when the team holds its second scrimmage at Hughes Stadium. Once again, the scrimmage is open to the public.

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Weekend schedule
Friday
What: Practice at Infinity Park in Glendale
When: Friday, 6 p.m.
Open and free to public
Sunday
What: Scrimmage at Hughes Stadium
When: Sunday, 12 p.m.
Open and free to public