Rams swept in double-header

Authors: Andrew Schaller

In its first home games since late March, CSU club baseball dropped two straight to Trinidad State Wednesday, losing 7-3 and 5-4, ending the Rams’ 14-game winning streak.

The Rams (19-18, 7-0) struggled to get their offense going all day, and were forced to trot out five different pitchers in the first game and four different pitchers in the second to try to hold the Trinidad State (22-18) offense at bay.

“Overall, I think the pitching was pretty decent today,” CSU coach Mike Abernathy said. “But offensively, we didn’t come to play, we didn’t have the focus. Our approaches were probably fair at best.”

During the first game, CSU pitchers Mark Rivet, Tate Hughes, Travis Childs and Takeshi Harashima combined to hold Trinidad State to just three runs over the first six innings, preserving a 3-3 tie going into the seventh and final inning.

Zach O’Farrell came into the game in the seventh inning to pitch, but gave up one walk and five base hits in the inning while surrendering four earned runs and sealing the Rams’ fate in a 7-3 loss.

The second game of the night started much like the first as the Rams struggled to get much going offensively until the bottom of the seventh inning, when consecutive RBI singles by Tyson Martinez and Colton Duffy put the Rams within one run of Trinidad State.

Second baseman Ryan Svetic pinch-ran for Colton Duffy on first base in an attempt to get more speed on the base paths as the Rams trailed 5-4 with one out.

Right-fielder Greg Hart struck out on a low breaking ball from Trinidad State’s Tanner Ernst, which dropped into the dirt in front of home plate. Hart was already out since a runner occupied first base, but someone near the action yelled “run” and Svetic was thrown out trying to advance to second, ending the game.

“I think it was a lapse in concentration,” said Abernathy of the play. “It was a dropped third strike and the hitter started running and (Svetic) just reacted, so it’s just a young mistake.”

CSU will now travel to Scottsbluff, Neb. to face Western Nebraska Community College, a team it has already beaten twice, before returning home Saturday for a weekend series against Missouri.

The Rams will look to come out more aggressively on offense next week in order to give their pitchers run support the team did not provide to them Wednesday.

“It just showed us that we can’t take any days off,” said center fielder Matt Kurtz after the game Wednesday. “We came off a 14-game win streak and instead of keeping the momentum going, we kind of took a step back when we need to continue to take steps forward until we get to the national championship, ultimately.”

Club Sports Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

The game
Result: Game 1: Trinidad State: 7 CSU: 3
Game 2: Trinidad State: 5 CSU 4
Up Next: Western Nebraska Community College
When: Today at 4 p.m.
Where: Scottsbluff, Neb.