Authors: Emily Smith

Lindsey Earl is ready to spend 30 days saying sorry.

“I’m stubborn as a mule, and I always have to be right,” said Earl, a sophomore environmental sociology major. “I’ve decided that I will do ‘30 days,’ and I’m going to admit I’m wrong and apologize to the people in my life who I need to or should have apologized to.”

Earl is participating in the “30-Day Challenge” at CSU, a program students can sign up for that was inspired by Morgan Spurlock’s TV show “30 Days,” which aired from 2005 to 2008. The show featured Spurlock trying on a new lifestyle for 30 days, such as “straight man in a gay world” and “off-the-grid living.”

Throughout the 30 days, students participating will have the option to blog about their experience.

“It’s going to be extremely difficult for me,” Earl said. “But I know I can come out a better person.”

The challenge has been sponsored in the past by the Student Leadership, Involvement, and Community Engagement (SLiCE) office and is now partnering with Gaining Understanding through Involvement, Diversity and Education (GUIDE).

According to Earl, GUIDE encouraged students to sign up to blog on the SLiCE website on April.

Since then, Earl has been blogging, including her first post which served as an apology to a girl from fifth grade whose reputation she tried to ruin after being hurt by her.

“I said sorry without blaming her and am still waiting for a response which is…NERVE-WRACKING,” Earl wrote.

GUIDE will be having a check-in Weds., April 11 at 4 p.m. in LSC Room 222, to discuss the difficulties and lessons learned halfway through the 30 days.

Tyler Blanch plans on waking up at sunrise every day for his challenge.

“I really wanted to try something new that was personally challenging but not impossible to continue when the 30 days are over,” said Blanch, a sophomore liberal arts major.

Sophomore management major Brianna Whitaker interpreted the challenge as 30 days of trying new things.

“I decided to do the challenge because I want to discover new things that I would enjoy doing in the future,” Whitaker said. “Also, I want to be able to drop old habits and pick up new habits.”

Whitaker said she plans to do a 30-day challenge every month after this one.

“I believe the challenges will help me grow as a person and open up doors to new opportunities,” she said.

For more information, students are encouraged to visit 30days.colostate.edu.

Collegian writer Emily Smith can be reached at news@collegian.com.

30-Day Challenge Check-In – Wednesday, April 11, 4 p.m.
-Lory Student Center Room 222
-Discuss difficulties and lessons learned at halfway point of GUIDE’s 30-day challenge.