Authors: Colleen McSweeney

Bre Steinmeyer, a sophomore business major, was 14 when she picked up her first guitar. It was a Christmas present, and she quickly taught herself to play. She’s continued to play for herself, and for her love of creating original music.

But tonight, Steinmeyer will play her guitar for something much more than herself –– she’ll be performing to raise awareness for cancer research, to save lives.

She’s one of three musical acts –– all consisting of CSU students –– who will perform at tonight’s Relay for Life Benefit Concert at Everyday Joe’s Coffee House.

Steinmeyer, the sole female performer tonight, is also the only solo act, and she’s excited about the power just her voice and guitar will hopefully have.

“It’s going to be an amazing feeling to give back,” she said. “”I mean, I’m a poor college student, but I know there’s always people worse off than me.”

Junior business major Ben Hilzer is well aware of this, which is why he came up with the idea for a Relay for Life benefit concert at a Dean’s Student Leadership Council meeting earlier this semester.

The Leadership Council is one of the biggest sources of donors for CSU’s 24-hour-long Relay for Life event later this month. So Hilzer, one of its members, suggested a concert to kick-start the fundraising process.

Hilzer not only helped to organize the event, but he’s also part of the second musical act, acoustic group Three Plus Me. Along with two friends he’s known since freshman year, Hilzer provides the vocals for Three Plus Me and counts Freddie Mercury, Miles Davis and Neil Young as some of the band’s main influences.

“I’m so excited [for tonight’s show],” Hilzer said. “I know all the performers, and they’re all -around fantastic. And, we’re helping out one of the best causes around.”

The third and final act tonight will be Mister Mistress, a four-man group that describe themselves on their website as a blend of rock, pop, and hip hop with influences from Shwayze, John Meyer and Jason Mraz.

“We like to make music, and we try to make you feel good. If you like feeling good, join us,” they say on the website.

And according to junior business major Stephanie Meisner, community service chair of the Dean’s Student Leadership and one of the main organizers of the concert, tonight is all about feeling good.

“Tonight’s going to be a much more casual part of [Relay for Life]. The big pressure to donate will be off,” she said. “Mostly, we want people to have a good time.”

Editorial Editor Colleen McSweeney can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

What: Relay for Life Benefit Concert
Where: Average Joe’s Coffee Shop, located on 144 S. Mason St.
When: Tonight, 7 to 10 p.m.
Cost: Free, $5 donation suggested. All proceeds will go to the American Cancer Association