Authors: Marcus Moritz

A creative and artistic dance experience is taking over the University Center for the Arts this weekend.

The Student Dance Concert, which will take place tonight at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 2 and 8 p.m., is a concert created, marketed, choreographed and directed by students.

“Whether you’re a dancer or not, dance has a transformative power that communicates ideas that are common to us all –– love and hate, hope and despair, light and dark,” said Carrie Care, the dance publicity coordinator.

There are more than 20 pieces that will be performed during the concert, all with different themes, visions and elements.

“One of the pieces is a ‘sexy-sultry’ piece, while some are contemporary, some are more theatrical,” Emma Kimball, a dance and international studies double major said. “It’s a variety show. There’s probably a little something for everyone in it.”

There are four total directors, each in charge of a different aspect of the show. There are also two tech liaisons, one marketing and public relations director and one program director who is in charge of setting up how the show will go, including arranging the order of the dance pieces.

“My favorite part of being a director is the organizational part,” Kimball, who is one of the directors, said. “You have to make sure that everything is happening and taking place properly. It’s your first step into the administrative side of a show. You have to take care of props and the show order and the tech people.”

“When the show is directed by a student, I as a dancer and a director feel more involved within the entire production,” said Brittany Hazel, a human development family studies and dance double major, as well as one of the directors. “The dancers have the ability to progress the show along and feel comfortable showcasing their work when it is run by students.”

This is some of the students’ first time directing and choreographing a show, but many of them get a chance to get a feel for their creative vision.

“Being a choreographer is like becoming the boss instead of a worker,” Kimball said. “You can try and teach a move to a dancer, but the way that it looks in my head is totally different from how it looks on a dancer.”

This particular dance concert only takes place once a semester, and it gives all the students a chance to take part in something that can be their own.

“If anything, it’s something new that a lot of students at CSU haven’t experienced,” Anna Roehr, a senior dance major and dancer in the concert, said. “So give us a go. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.”

Collegian writer Marcus Moritz can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

What: Student Dance Concert
Where: University Dance Theatre at the University Center for the Arts
When: Tonight at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 2 and 8 p.m.
Cost: $12 for adults, $8 for students and youth ages 2 to 17
More info: www.colostate.edu and http://central.colostate.edu