Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

Editor’s note: Associated Students of CSU presidential candidate Regina Martel is a current Rocky Mountain Student Media Corporation board member.

Congratulations Regina Martel and Joe Eden, who students have elected as the 2012 – 2013 Associated Students of CSU president and vice president.

The student body has chosen you to be their voice, by a landslide (with 61.1 percent of the votes). On top of advocating for students, you are in control of budgeting more than $1.9 million in student fees.

This is an opportunity to make a difference at CSU that only a tiny percentage of students have had since 1870. Please have a vision for this coming year –– one with clear goals and one that has the initiative to attain big results.

Martel and Eden, you bring years of student government experience, which will hopefully translate into capable leadership throughout the next academic year. What you must be careful of, though, is letting that experience turn into a comfort zone. Prove to us you won’t be the same usual leaders that are produced year after year by the ASCSU machine.

Don’t be afraid to make changes that student government needs –– changes that will make it more accessible, more efficient and a more accurate avenue for student voice.

In this campaign you have not yet taken a stance in the on-campus stadium debate or on conceal carry or many other key university debates.

Don’t be afraid to take a side on the important issues facing our campus. Show the student body you are strong leaders who can make tough decisions.

One year is all you have as president and vice president of Colorado State University. In this short period of time, make the most of it and do everything you can to leave a proud legacy.

Good luck Martel and Eden, and once again congratulations.