American Idol: CSU edition

Authors: Emily Kribs

CSU’s got talent, but the popular TV show ASAP has chosen to emulate is “American Idol.”

“We’re hoping to see people who just blow you away,” said ASAP Special Event Coordinator Heather Jones.

CSU Idol kicks off with its first round tonight in the RamSkeller at 6 p.m. with free admission. The second round is April 12, also at the Skeller, and the finale is April 20 at the Crewz Control show at the Lincoln Center.

“I’m looking forward to seeing lots of talented people, all different kinds of talented people who are really inspiring,” said Chaz Miles, who won the competition in 2006 and will serve as a judge this year. He also judged the year after he won in 2007.

Miles agreed to act as judge when asked by Jones. “I think it’s a really cool experience,” he said.

In 2006, the grand prize was a travel voucher for $300 “because it was back when we had a travel agency on campus, which sucked because it was only good overseas,” Miles laughed.

“But it helped launch your solo career, right?” Jones asked.

“It helped,” he agreed. “I was (performing) before, but I wasn’t doing much performing outside of church.”

Miles and the Iasis Worship Band sold their first CD, “Daddy,” in 2009.

This year’s prizes for the final three contestants have no limitations like those on Miles’ travel voucher, as ASAP has made arrangements with Sony.

“There’s $200 prize money guaranteed,” Jones said, “and while we’re still working out the details, I think the prizes for the final three contestants might be a tablet, a camera and some nice headphones.”

“The energy of the event is the best part,” said Miles. “When I did it, there was lots of talent, and lots of people attended.”

Collegian writer Emily Kribs can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

What: CSU’s rendition of American Idol
Where: First round: Skeller
Second round: Skeller
Finale: Lincoln Center at Crewz Control show
When: First round: April 5 at 6 p.m.
Second round: April 12 at 6 p.m.
Finale: April 20 at 7 p.m.
Cost: Free
More info: www.ASAP.colostate.edu or the CSU Idol Facebook page.