Authors: Nicolle Fagan

CSU’s College of Business is hosting its annual Business Day in the Lory Student Center Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., where presenters from all across the business world will be discussing the importance of corporate responsibility, sustainability and ethics.

“Business Day is a way to add on to concepts we learn in class with real life people and businesses,” said Morgan Kozin, Business Day chair in the Dean’s Student Leadership Council (DSLC). “We want people to walk away from Business Day knowing that they, too, have the chance to make their own impact on the world.”

Business Day, a 34-year tradition at CSU, is sponsored by DSLC, as well as the College of Business, ASCSU and the Daniels Fund Ethics Initiative.

“[Business Day] is a great platform to showcase successful business leaders who demonstrate high ethical standards in both their personal and professional lives,” said Mary Beth Lewis, the director of the Daniels Fund Ethics Initiative, an organization committed to educating students and community members about business ethics.

According to Lewis, Business Day is “a unique opportunity to interact with great business leaders who have accomplished great things while doing the right things.”

This year’s presenter listing includes Tricia Lemmer from OtterCares, Gary Dixon from The Foundation for a Better Life, and Sonya Soutus from The Coca-Cola Refreshments North American Business Unit.

Chris Gardner, the owner and CEO of Gardner Rich LLC and the inspiration for the 2006 movie “The Pursuit of Happyness,” will be the event’s keynote speaker. Gardner will discuss his journey from homelessness to being a CEO at noon. A book-signing will follow his speech.

“I think Chris Gardner is an extremely inspirational person,” said freshman business student Jeannie Lee. “To be able to hear his story directly from him is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity I don’t want to miss.”

The College of Business event is not exclusive to business students; people from across the university and the Fort Collins community are welcome — and encouraged — to attend.

“Business is an all-encompassing industry and we want to be as inclusive as possible,” Kozin said.

The College of Business requested RSVPs from their attendees, but open seating will be available on a first-come, first serve basis.

Collegian writer Nicolle Fagan can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Business day presenters (in the LSC):
Tricia Lemmer, OtterCares, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Gary Dixon, Foundation for a Better Life, 11 a.m. to Noon
Chris Gardner, author of The Pursuit of Happyness, Noon to 1 p.m.
Sonya Soutous, Coca-Cola Refreshments, 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.