Authors: Bailey Constas

If you were at the B.W. Pickett Equine Center this weekend for the 63rd annual Skyline Stampede put on by CSU’s Rodeo Team, you may have sensed something –– a feeling of togetherness that was best seen through the people waving from trailers, others shaking hands and competitors congratulating each other.

The rodeo was made up of 10 events, including rough stock horse and bull riding, six timed events like barrel racing, calf roping, break away and team roping, as well as wrestling and team wrestling.

And while the events brought in college students from across the region, they also attracted Terri Kissack and her family members, who travelled five hours from their home in Spearfish, South Dakota to watch and participate in the stampede.

Kissack said her favorite part of events like the Skyline Stampede are the people, the friendships and the camaraderie you find at a rodeo.

“I rodeoed growing up,” Kissack said. “And now with my son all his life,” she added, speaking about her 22-year-old son Dane who won a calf roping event this year.

Taylor Laramore, an equine science major and vice president of CSU’s Rodeo Team, said she expected to see about 450 to 500 students competing and more than 1,000 attendees at the student-run stampede.

“For three days, we’re all out there helping everybody out with stock and taking care of animals,” Laramore said.

“It’s been extremely stressful,” she said, adding that on top of helping put on the event, she also competed in barrel racing during the stampede. “But I have a lot of people around me, and everyone on the team has put forth (their) best effort. We try to make the rodeo go smoothly and have a good time.”

“We’re part of a region called Central Rocky Mountain Region,” Laramore added. “The top three people out of one rodeo go to the College National Finals in Casper.”

Franny Rieken, a student from Fullerton, Nebraska, travelled to the Skyline Stampede to compete in barrel racing with her rodeo team.

“It’s what I love to do,” Rieken said. “I’ve been rodeoing since I was seven years old. The people and getting to meet new people and see new places is the best part.”

When asked what had to be done to get to this rodeo, Ricken explained that her team practices daily and works out twice a week.

Laramore said she believes having the rodeo team, as well as the annual rodeo, is important to CSU because of the agricultural basis of the university.

“We have programs that are very well-renowned in agriculture and vet sciences, and most of these kids that rodeo have a deep background with working with agriculture and livestock,” Laramore said. “It’s important that those kids can have somewhere to go compete.”

Collegian writer Bailey Constas can be reached at news@collegian.com.