Weekender Calendar 3/30/12

Music:
The Holler! and Lake Street Dive
Mishawaka’s SpokesBUZZ Lounge
Friday
8 p.m.
$10 in advance, $12 at the door
These two bands are teaming up for a “co-headlining show chock full of great songs, playing and singing, presented by KUNC,” according to Mishawaka’s website. A shuttle departs from Chippers North on College Ave. at 7 p.m. to transport attendees to the amphitheatre. The suggested donation is $10 for the round trip.

Euforquestra with Papagoya and Barley Davidson
Aggie Theatre
Friday
8 p.m.
$8
“Eufórquestra’s first live release, ‘Let Us In,’ captures the seven-piece ‘High Intensity Global Dance’ band on the road in both the original home state of Iowa and the current hometown of Fort Collins, Colorado,” according to the band’s website. “The well-crafted and explosive live experience Eufórquestra has been delivering to fans for years is brought into this high-quality recording, with each track hand-picked by the band members themselves.”

Swagga and Dizzy’s Mixtape Release Party
Hodi’s Half Note
Friday
8 p.m.
$7
The first 50 attendees get a free drink, and the first 25 ladies get in free. The event includes performances by PC and J Rich, Raige, Joez, Trap and a guest appearance by Moss.

Crushendo with Made You Look
Hodi’s Half Note
Saturday
8 p.m.
$7 day of show, $3 under 21
“Impeccably well-orchestrated melodies are painstakingly layered on top of some of the freshest hip-hop inspired beats to come out of such a diverse music scene, and the result is utterly electrifying,” according to the band’s Facebook page. “A breath of fresh air for the burgeoning new era of electronic music, Crushendo always strives for innovation, constantly seeking to create and utilize sounds in ways that completely evade all attempts at categorization.”

Marty Nightengale
Lucky Joe’s
Saturday
Experience the “Marty Party” at Lucky Joe’s tonight with New York native Marty Nightengale.
“Only in his mid 20s, he’s already played a lifetime of gigs on the East Coast, from Boston to Key West and is now making his home in the Fort,” according to Lucky Joe’s’ website.
His sound is described as a mix of acoustic, pop and soul, and according to The Scene, “he’s an extremely talented guitar player with a naturally bluesy voice that has a distinct quality about it –– this is a voice you’ll remember. Don’t miss out!”

Wind Ensemble Chamber Music Concert
Organ Recital Hall, University Center for the Arts
Sunday
2 p.m.
$12 for adults, $7 for students and $1 for youth
Directed by Christopher Nicholas, the Wind Ensemble is trying something new by breaking into small groups to perform the chamber works of Richard Strauss, Charles Gounod, Gordon Jacob and Henri Tomasi.

*Theater:
OpenStage Theater’s ‘The Ladies Man’*
Lincoln Center
Saturday
8 p.m.
$22 to $27 adults; $16 to $20 seniors, students and groups of 10 or more; $16 to $20 matinees
“To fully enjoy ‘The Ladies Man,’ you must suspend belief and remove your hat of plausibility for a zany ride,” according to a press release from OpenStage Theatre. “Charles Morey’s free-handed adaptation of Georges Feydeau’s fast-paced and frothy French farce is set in turn-of-the-century Paris. The shaggy-poodle story tells of a physician wrongly suspected of infidelity by his youthful wife. As a result, comedic confusion lurks behind every door and mistaken-identity cases multiply like mayflies.”

‘The Sound of Music’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Evening Performances:
Lounge and Bar open at 5:30 p.m.
Pre-Show begins at 7:15 p.m.
Matinee Performances:
Lounge and Bar opens at 11:30 a.m.
Pre-Show begins at 1:15 p.m.
$49 matinee, $59 evening
“The world’s best-loved musical, “The Sound of Music,” is a lavish and critically-acclaimed production telling the uplifting true story of the Von Trapp family’s flight across the mountains,” according to the Midtown Arts Center’s website. “With its unforgettable score, “The Sound Of Music” touches the hearts of all ages and brims over with some of the most memorable songs ever performed.”

‘The Dinner Detective’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday and Saturday
Lounge and bar open at 5:30 p.m.
Check-in begins at 6:15 p.m.
$59
This is the largest interactive murder mystery comedy dinner show in the United States was named the “Best Dinner show” in Los Angeles and Denver. According to the Boulder Daily Camera, “Almost everyone in the room is a suspect… the detectives keep the action lively throughout the dinner!”

Closing of ‘Turn of the Screw’
Griffin Concert Hall, University Center for the Arts
Saturday
7:30 p.m.
“Benjamin Britten’s unparalleled chamber opera, commissioned in the early 1950s by the Venice Biennale, brings Henry James’ 1898 ghost story to life,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu. “My hope is to allow the audience to draw its own conclusions about the existence of the ghosts, the Governess’ mental state and the children’s innocence,” said director Tiffany Blake.

*Art:
Textured Interplay: The abstract Art of Ellida Schargo von Alten*
University Center for the Arts, University Art Museum
Friday and Saturday
11 a.m.
Free
“In the first decades following World War II, German artist Ellida Schargo von Alten produced drawings in pastel and charcoal that unite the illusion of texture with abstract form,” according to www.beetstreet.org. “In her artworks the play of light and shadow, mass and void, depth and surface merge formal concerns with surreal visions of organic nature.”

Mexican prints from the Calle Collection
University Center for the Arts, University Museum
Saturday
11 a.m.
“Showcasing approximately 50 works by artists associated with the Taller de Gráfica Popular (Workshop for Popular Graphic Art or TGP), founded in 1937, the TGP produced thousands of prints, posters and illustrated books by Mexican artists and prominent international printmakers who joined them because of the atmosphere of inclusiveness, tolerance and collaboration,” according to the event’s page on www.colostate.edu.

Home
The Center for Fine Art Photography
Friday and Saturday
According to www.beetstreet.org, “In his juror’s statement for the upcoming Home exhibition, Krzysztof Candrowicz writes, ‘No matter what is happening, home is always your starting point… your foundation… and your shelter. Before the final selection for the exhibition I asked myself what home means to me. Is it my flat, my surroundings, my hometown, my country, my family and my friends? That is a very conventional definition but nowadays home has a wider meaning…’”

Loco-Motion Show
Poudre Studio Artists
Friday and Saturday
Free
“What started out as an exhibit showing ‘planes, trains, and automobiles’ has morphed into a fascinating look at things that move as well as art that moves,” according to www.beetstreet.org. “Our building is located right next to the railroad tracks, so I think that’s where the idea for this exhibit originated. At one time the building was even a location for freight-damaged furniture, presumably unloaded right from the train,” said Becky Hawley, Marketing Director of Poudre Studio Artist & Galleries. “It’s a artful way to honor that heritage and present some striking pieces of art.”

*Life:
The Change Paragraph: Writing the Matthew Shepard Murder*
Grey Rock Room, Lory Student Center
Friday
2 p.m.
The Center for Women’s Studies and Gender Research is presenting the first speaker in the Gender and Sexuality Lecture Series: Beth Loffreda, Ph.D. “The Change Paragraph: Writing the Matthew Shepard Murder.” Loffreda is an associate professor of English and adjunct professor of women’s studies at the University of Wyoming, as well as the director of the MFA Program in Creative Writing.

Veterinary Teaching Hospital Open House
Veterinary Teaching Hospital, 300 W. Drake Road
Friday and Saturday
Friday at 6 p.m., Saturday at 9:30 a.m.
Free
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital’s open house, “The ABC’s of Animal Health: Always the Best Care,” will feature lectures, demonstrations, tours through the hospital and over 15 displays.

Movie
Lyric Cinema Cafe
Friday
“Salmon Fishing in the Yemen”: 2, 4:30, 7 and 9:15 p.m.
“Casa de mi Padre”: 6:45 and 9 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday
“Casa de mi Padre”: 2:15, 4:15, 6:45 and 9 p.m.